Emotionality

Strtj

The last few years have not been very emotional. I can't remember the last time I cried, I've not had a girl stick a knife in my heart, nobodies died, and actually... I've been having a pretty good time. So what I can't figure out is why I'm writing better songs now that I ever have before. I thought it was supposed to be, strong emotion = better songs. Thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case for me. Christ, I don't even take drugs anymore!

The thing is that people tell me that my songs and my singing are very emotional. A girl asked me the other day what I was thinking when I was singing and I had to admit I was wondering if anyone would notice if I sped up so the song would end quicker!

This really is a pretty pointless post, sorry.

You must be over sexed ;) :D

I actually went through a long stage in my life like that from about age 20 - 27ish. And I'm pretty sure mine was girl related. It's like my heart was just gone. When I met my wife things changed and now that I have a beautiful daughter, I'm the biggest cry baby on the planet. Especially when it comes to wonderful parent/child stories. Strangly, I really didn't start righting semi-seriously until I was about 32 or 33 (I think I may have written 2 songs up until then and never really thought about it much). Then one day...bam I was infected with the songwriting bug. No idea why. :)

Anyway...it's probably just a phase. :)

if you are writing good tunes without drugs. . . . ADD DRUGS! they'll be AWESOME!!!! seriously though, the songs HAVE to have smoe emotional attachment to you. You DID write them. so, you may not FEEL like you are portraying emotion, but the Song as heard by someone else may seem very emotional. just a thought, dont let it bug you and smoke dope!!

the dude abides. . .

I did go through a phase a few years ago when I thought that I couldn't write a good song without drugs, so I stopped smoking weed and dropping acid to prove myself wrong... which I did. I actually have more fun writing sober, although I do still partake of the occasional puff if it's offered. I think that drugs just allow you to channel things which are already inside, and if you can find other ways to channel them you'll be better off. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of drugs, I just don't want to rely on them anymore.

Cheers for the replies guys, it was just something that was on my mind.

Back