em field from tube amp

Thurgood

Hello all: Due to size constraints and overall economy of space (and convenience) I ask to you fine folks: Will the EM field of a marshall dsl amplifier interfere with rack mounted Comp (vla and older Quadraverb) if mounted close to one another? By close I mean 2.5" (inches). I need to stack the rack units atop the marshall head. I am giving 2.5" of air space between the head and the units for cooling (another issue). I have rarely combined amplifier heads and efx in the same rack unit. I did once have a Mesa 2/something 90? with a lexicon pcm and power conditioner etc in an anvil type case and it was fine. Note the comp/efx and DSl will share the same power source but will probably not be connected directly. EFX and comp will be "outboard hardware" for other uses. I do realize potential (lol) ground loop issues) but my main concern before I start building stuff is the "buzz factor" inductance wtc..?? Helps please.

You should be much more concerned with heat issues than buzz. Racking a tube amp without proper ventilation is a recipe for disaster.

Thanks OC! Update: Head 12" from processing units and independent Mic pre-amp yields/produces little hum. Envision person twisting and listening to the output of a 45lb head with live input {limited} channel to monitors. Rotate, Rotate. Not bad. Will Try further. So far so good.

To your point:

Heat is truly a concern as a cooked tube amp is just that. Let us investigate (if you care to assist) the thermal end of the deal. However, before we do that, let me clarify my original post a bit. The full size Marshall DSL 100 head will be placed upon a solid table supported by the OEM stubby feet as if it were stacked upon another DSL head (Burger-king double stack). Lots of HOT as a single tube amp. Adding a fan is not that big of an issue (still a pain in the ass). The head is seperated from the Mic'd cabinet such that the fan should not be a problem. My Mark 3 is set up the same way... head in one area, cab/mic in another. I generally track the GTRs in such a fashion so as to avoid ambient noise.

Last comment, I will strive to keep it cool. Thanks. Be Well All. WS.

Back