Element - by Rychko Vlad

Nice work. It sounds good. The mix is nicely balanced. The only nit I have is the kick. There's no thump or low end to it. It just sounds like a click that's getting lost in the mix.

Cool song. Not my style, but the production is great. The kick is really the only problem I have with the song. It's too clicky. There's no depth. Boost the lows

Cool. I like it.

I guess the other posters are probably right about the kick (though I honestly wouldn't have noticed.)

Any plan to add lyrics, or is it done as is?

Edit: I just noticed the snare tone around 3:20 doesn't really sound like it fits. I'm not sure that's the best sample to use for this song.

Well I have a lot of options now actually.

First of all my sister and I are writing lyrics for her to sing, so in the future it might have vocals. (But adding vocals will probably require restructuring the track)

And as for drums I am definitely not planning on keeping drum samples in CD versions of songs. I found a drummer who's pretty good and has his whole set rigged with mics so he can record. And he already agreed to record drums over my soundtracks. So hopefully it will end up being good.

So the drums are the only things you guys noticing wrong with this track?
I tried my hardest equalizing all the guitars and such ^_^
I just still feel like I'm missing something.

Cowbell!!!

No..what it's missing is a main theme....a melodic element...in the backing strings, or guitars...that says something, musically, for longer than a couple measures...a feature...focal point....main idea. [that is, all the elements of the composition are a couple measures long...groovecraft....needs overlay of longer ideas] A strong, melodic vocal might be it. Might wanna wait for the vox to change stuff?

I really enjoyed listening to that. Great groove - worth saving to bring out to go with a proper song. Agree with kick comments but kick is important for a track like this. Keyboard-string sound could have been higher in the mix in places to make it "soar".

I would bag this and move on to a new creation. It was fun!

I really enjoyed listening to that. Great groove - worth saving to bring out to go with a proper song. Agree with kick comments but kick is important for a track like this. Keyboard-string sound could have been higher in the mix in places to make it "soar".

I would bag this and move on to a new creation. It was fun!

Yes the strings are too low, I forgot they were there the first time I listened and posted what I did. The strings need a more aggresive movement while being a bit louder.

By strings do you guys mean rhythm or lead?
I'm guessing lead lol.

Jinkos - I'm very impressed you actually heard the piano backing the lead guitar up on that one part. The keys were very quiet. Also I see you're a guy who doesn't kill himself overworking a piece, I do that quite often lol.

So you guys think it's important to emphasize lead instruments more? I just kind of fall in love with ALL the riffs I can't really quiet one or the other.

jeffmaher - what exactly do you mean, lol you gave me like 20 keywords.
The rhythm guitar already had a main melodic movement, with lead guitars + small synths exploring the space around it. There were 4 main movements:
- a slow emotional riff
- a fast technical riff
- a hyper hardcore riff
- and a chill slow couple chords for guitar improv.
So care to explain a bit more?

I'm guessing lead lol.

Jinkos - I'm very impressed you actually heard the piano backing the lead guitar up on that one part. The keys were very quiet. Also I see you're a guy who doesn't kill himself overworking a piece, I do that quite often lol.

So you guys think it's important to emphasize lead instruments more? I just kind of fall in love with ALL the riffs I can't really quiet one or the other.

The rhythm guitar already had a main melodic movement, with lead guitars + small synths exploring the space around it. There were 4 main movements:
- a slow emotional riff
- a fast technical riff
- a hyper hardcore riff

I was thinking for the stings to be more syncopated with the rhythm guitars, especially where the rhythm guitars have the spotlight. The slow stings are good when the lead guitar is doing its thing.

Hey great advice, I kind of forgot about syncopation. I'll give it a try and yeah on the part where it gets all crazy it would sound awesome. Thanks =]

I'm guessing lead lol.

- a slow emotional riff
- a fast technical riff
- a hyper hardcore riff

I guess the easy way to explain it is to tell you I came away from it with nothing to remember or sing...just the memory of a groove. But the vox should put the finish on it....unless it's just a commercial vamp to be voiced-over??

I see, a focused melody that can be easily remembered.

I find it kind of hard to do instrumentally since people usually attach to lyrics much faster (I have 1 song with lyrics that people tend to start singing along to when they hear it)

It's just that when I try to focus on one riff mainly I feel it becomes too repetitive that's why I always try to fit it with a second lead or backup synths or something, spice it up.

Got any advice on what musical elements can make a melody more memorable?

Lemme see...

A groovin' unit like Tower of Power...similar in a lot of ways to your groove thang....used signature horn lines and the vocal.

Any instrument can make a melodic statement that lasts, say eight or sixteen bars, over a cluster of repeating groovish elements. More "theme' than funk. If there's no melody saying sentences and making paragraphs, then you have a short 'See Spot run.' thing repeating over and over...until the next groove says 'Spot is a dog.' over and over.

And a theme of duration and intrest can knit the different groove elements together.

Let me do a search for a short article that tells how to craft effective melody...it's a deep subject. But the most reliable creator of melody is your own brain: y' listen, and tune into what your subconscious musical mind is singing over what it hears. All the good stuff in melody is already in your head...you're born with it. Humans...and other living things....respond to melody ....like a scent of good cooking that can make you hungry. And the ability to make melody is a natural gift. But it doesn't hurt to examine the universal elements.

Groove has a part to play...makes the body wanna move. If you can frame a melodic idea over that, you get a complete picture...if that's what you're trying to create.

http://www.omnidisc.com/MUSIC/Lecture1.html

This is a decent article.

Last edited:
Back