Electronic song - First with UAD2 and Adam A7X

MrNemo

EDIT: Just realized many of the tracks just disappeared in Cubase, uploaded version with the rest of the tracks

------------------------------------------
Wondering how this sounds, mix / master-wise. Tomorrow I will have vocals but trying to get the mix close. Supposed to be an electro-pop + 80's kind of sound.

I had some Event 20/20's but didn't like them. I bought some Adam A7X speakers last week and this is my first mix with them.

I also got a UAD-2 Quad Omni card today, so this was a fun test to try the new sounds. I think the UAD-2 definitely added punch.

Haven't done the "car test" yet and wondering your opinions of mixing straight from the Adams.

Last edited:
Sounds OK, I have the Adam A7x's also, I love them, but I can tell you this mix is most likely bass heavy. Some complaints about the A7x is they are bass light. I actually disagree, what I have found is that there is an order (front to back) with almost all monitors.

I found the A7xs to be in this order:

1. Vocals definately first and foremost, get used to loud vocals or they will be lost on average playback devices.
2. Instruments and drums are all nicely balanced second, behind the vox.
3. Bass and bass instruments slightly in back of the instruments.

I say this because if you really crank up the Adams there is plently of nice bass, but its not the front runner like DJ speakers might be.

Anyway I love the Adams because I make 100% vocal pop music, so they're perfect for me. I rarely listen to anything with in-distinct vocals.

Just my 2cents brother.

Post again when you add vox.

Pete

P.S what UAD plugs did you use, any tape sims?

Yes, used the Ampex AT-800! I had it at the end of the chain but was getting distortion. So I threw it behind the limiter. Not sure if that was a good idea or not. Also used Massive passive, the 1073, and LA1176LN. Not too creative here but they definitely all work really well. Also the Precision limiter and precision compressor. Yeah, I bet the mix is bass heavy (this is one of the reason I am asking for input). I don't mix particularly loud but I find the bass to be pretty amazing on these little things. I will repost with vox tomorrow. Thanks for the tips on the A7X.

EDIT: yeah, it was definitely bass heavy - missing some of the tracks and had TWO bass drum tracks going at once ?? Thanks for encouraging me to double check.

Last edited:
Hey, sorry, it seems that some of the tracks were missing when I uploaded this before. I re-uploaded it.

Back