Electronic Roland V drums

Atomic

Hi all,

My drummer just bought an electronic Roland v drums and i was wondering if any of you guys has any thoughts on recording that instrument. All i know is it has a stereo output on the module.

I record through my mackie mixer.

I guess i would try to plug it directly through a stereo channel without any effect at all but i was wondering if you have any advice and/or comment on how to do this.

tnks

Bec it only has a stereo out...itll be like recording overheads instead of the whole kit. You lose the ability to EQ and compress dif drums so youll want to EQ the sounds in the module. There is a way to set the panning (although its natural mode is panned) so that you have good stereo separation with the kick and snare in the middle, toms from R-->L or L-->R, cymbals and so on. You can get very usable results. Disregard what youre used to in terms of recording an acoustic set and the flexibility that dif mic positions provide in terms of sound, just focus on the overall sound and getting punchy sounding drums. You might want to try using a regular snare and natural cymbals in conjunction with the roland toms and bass drum. There is no comparison bet a roll on a snare and a roll on a roland snare. And if good natural cymbals are a 10, electronic cymbals are a 4.5. You will also get more depth in the snare if you use overheads on your natural snare along with close micing it, as opposed to an electric snare. It really depends on the genre youre doing. If you dont have much experience micing real drums this could make your job alot easier.

Back