electronic or acoustic?

ohmicide

i thinking about spending about 500 dollars on a used electronic drum kit (yamaha dtxpress with update snare pad) with addictive drums

or

spending about the same money to upgrade my pearl drumset (new heads, cymbals, another rode nt1-a for overheads, a sennheiser/audix/shure kick mic, a sennheiser/audix/shure snare mic, and an audiotechnica mic for hi-hat)

i have some drummer friends and they all have mixed feelings about which option i should go with

good thing about electronic set is that ill be able to do a lot more things with it. good thing about the mic'ing is that whoever i record will be able to bring their on cymbals, snare, and whatever else they want.

i need more opinions

Acoustic

Depending on the style of music, having only electronic drum may be a limiting factor. If you want to record metal or jazz (two styles that rely on the acoustic drum sound, in my opinon) I think you'd be better off with an acoustic. Even the most high-end electronic drums will never capture all the subtleties of an acoustic kit.

Acoustic

I bought the top of the line roland mesh-head kit when I was working. I didn't enjoy playing them, gave up & I had to sell it due to me losing my job. With some of the money I bought a crappy mapex vx voyager kit & a cymbal pack. I'm addicted to playing drums now!! I really don't get the whole electronic kit thing, they felt pretty close to real drums, sounded a lot better than my voyager, quicker to dial in what you want, no need to position mics, no problems with bleed, no gating, no tuning - it goes on & on. But if you're not lazy, they're nothing in comparison to the real thing. Good as a practicing tool but nothing else I'm afraid. They are a lot less sensative, you can also have a lot of problems with them triggering when you don't want them to & not triggering when you want them to.

Don't waste your time with an electronc kit ;)

I bought the top of the line roland mesh-head kit when I was working. I didn't enjoy playing them, gave up & I had to sell it due to me losing my job. With some of the money I bought a crappy mapex vx voyager kit & a cymbal pack. I'm addicted to playing drums now!! I really don't get the whole electronic kit thing, they felt pretty close to real drums, sounded a lot better than my voyager, quicker to dial in what you want, no need to position mics, no problems with bleed, no gating, no tuning - it goes on & on. But if you're not lazy, they're nothing in comparison to the real thing. Good as a practicing tool but nothing else I'm afraid. They are a lot less sensative, you can also have a lot of problems with them triggering when you don't want them to & not triggering when you want them to.

Don't waste your time with an electronc kit ;)

i think the biggest problem with electronic drums is the snare. i messed around with a 5000 dollar roland kit and the snare was just horrible. ghost notes are almost impossible. i really like the whole point of them though, because i am an electronic musician mostly, but i really want to be able to record for bands.

i know recording a drum set can also be really tricky though. that is why im not sure what to do.

ghost notes are almost impossible

Yeah that's what I found, but more down to the fact that if you want ghost notes & increase the sensativity, you're going to get the drum triggering when you hit other drums as it's so sensative. That was with the roland flagship stand aswell, you'd think there would have been adequet sonic insulation for that not to happen, but it does.

Be aware though, I consider myself a novice drummer so don't make your mind up just down to my recommendations. But that's what I found anyway.

Back