electronic drums

superstupid

I'd like to learn drums, and possibly have the ability to record them direct. But learning to keep a beat, and being able to hear the sound of them is what's important. I've seen articles on how to modify Remo practice pads into drum triggers, to save money on those, my main question concerns drum modules. I've seen a few analog modules on Ebay for fairly cheap as well as some digital ones.

The reason I'm not interested in acoustic drums is the bothering the naighbors/portability factor, and the I play bass factor, and am not looking for a gig as a drummer factor :)

Thanks

For that matter you could just get a midi controlled module and trigger the sounds via a midi controller or keyboard. The power of midi will also allow you to correct your mistakes.
Alesis D4 and D5 are some descent units you can probably find cheap on ebay. You can also use it with triggers as you mentioned.

I have an Alesis SR-16 for any sort of drum pattern that I want to record, but I can't learn to play drums on it. Recording my playing would be nice, but not that important. I'd probably get a buddy to do it if I wanted a live feel.
I saw a couple analog drum modules on ebay, what kinds of sounds do these get, I'm just thinking it could be interesting, they are also cheap.

superstupid said:
I have an Alesis SR-16 for any sort of drum pattern that I want to record, but I can't learn to play drums on it. Recording my playing would be nice, but not that important. I'd probably get a buddy to do it if I wanted a live feel.
I saw a couple analog drum modules on ebay, what kinds of sounds do these get, I'm just thinking it could be interesting, they are also cheap.
What drum machines are you looking at ? specifically.

Since you indicate you want to learn to play drums, useing a MIDI keyboard controller is not the answer. You need pads of some sort.

Yes you can put triggers on a remo practise pad set - we did that at drum shop I worked at and it triggered reasonably well. It won't produce all the performance dynamics as well as a Roland Mesh pad would - but as a beginner your are likely looking for basic drum beats (vs. buzz rolls and ghost notes).

Be aware that the triggers feed to a 1/4" cable (guitar cable) - so any drum module needs to accept the 1/4" cable and run the signal through a converter. Or you need to use a converter to change the 1/4" signal into MIDI and then send MIDI to a module (Roland make a converter which accepts 5 triggers and converts to MIDI signal (it coss about $170).

An Alesis D4 or D5 are decent low cost units which if I recall accpet 12 triggers (you should be able to get them used in the $150 range).

Many "drum machines" do not accept the 1/4" cable (they only accept MIDI in) which would not interface with triggers. Make sure what ever you buy can accpet the 1/4" feed

Back