electronic drums- sonar

band 4 hire

I posted this in the drum area but was not sure if this would be a better place for the question. I did a search but did not find any answers. I dont want to use the midi to record with because its a pain.

I just got a yamaha electronic set and I am looking for info on how to record them. So far with sonar it does not even sound as good as my old drum machine even though Im putting the audio that I was sending to my amp straight into the soundcard.

any ideas?

Does the drum-machine sound any good by itself?

And recording MIDI is not a pain, even if it looks that way in the beginning... ;)

2 questions....

1. What sound card are you using?

2. How are you 'plugging it in' to the sound card?

Porter

thanks for the fast reply

moskus asked
""Does the drum-machine sound any good by itself?

And recording MIDI is not a pain, even if it looks that way in the beginning... ""

Yes the drum machine sounds are good, its a boss unit and If I output audio straight into the souncard,, an sb audigy, it sounds rich and full and cuts threw the other tracks. Havent had much luck with midi, for me the whole thing is too complicated and very frustrating.

porter
Its a yamaha dtxpress and im taking the audio out which goes to the amp and sending that to the soundcard sb audigys in. maybe I should use the headphone out instead?

band 4 hire said:
...So far with sonar it does not even sound as good as my old drum machine even though Im putting the audio that I was sending to my amp straight into the soundcard.

Yup... :)
I don't know the yamaha stuff. But you should hear if it sounds good or bad before you record it :) Try to listen to the sound in your monitor, amps, or even headphones, then you'll have the idea. Does it sound good, or bad.

If you're happy with the sound before it's recorded, then there must ba a way to capture it to SONAR. Even if it will cost new sound card :D We can talk about it latter....

For now, my question would be : Are you happy with the sound before you record it (as audio) ? :)

;)
Jaymz

band 4 hire,

Are you plugging it into the Line in or the Mic in? There is a difference.. The drum set should be giving a 'line level output'. You need to plug this into the Line In, if you plug it into the Mic in, it's giving a different impedance (I think that's it) and it will sound different to the line in.

Porter

:eek: ...looks like we reply on a same time :D

Anyway... so you have two drum machine.

1. Boss --> sounds good, has internal sound and can be programmed.

2. Yamaha dtxpress --> Sounds....? has internal sound, can be programmed ? Does it have MIDI in/out ?

Am I correct ? Then my questions :

1. Boss --> Does it have MIDI in / out ?

2. Yamaha dtxpress --> Does it sound good ? can it be programmed ? Does it have MIDI in/out ?

Most likely, you're gonna route audio out of your either drum machine straight to Line in (NOT mic in!!) of your sound card. Don't use headphone out, use regular L/R our :)

;)
Jaymz

Back