electronic drum midi question

jimminy

Does anyone know a method that will allow me to transpose a note-on message, say from C1 to C#1, by pressing a sustain pedal or some other controller?

Here's why:

I have an older electronic drum set, tyically used with a real hihat, so it does't have any way to use a footswitch to change from a closet hat to an open hat. I don't use the drum module for the actual sounds because its so bad sounding, so it just sends the midi data to the computer and a drum machine. I have a pad programed to play a hihat, but I have to switch manually to get an open hihat sound to trigger.

I was thinking I could have the sustain pedal from my keyboard sending on-off data, and by some method or other have that cause the note to be transposed up to a different note and different sound. The effect would be to have the sustain pedal pressed when I want a closed hat (C1), and when I let off with my foot, have an open hat sound(C#1).

I've seen ways to do similar things but not this. help.

Except for a case like yours, I don't think a manufacturer would have any reason to do this

Why don't you just change the note in your sequencer. Since you're only using the e-drums to get your groove down, just play the note and change it later. Just assign the open and closed samples right next to each other on your sampler, lock the timing, and take 2 or 3 minutes to change them. I can't imagine this would be worth spending money on.

(I only have one midi drum pad, and am used to recording each part separately for every four measures. I guess I;m just used to lots of care in my drum programming...maybe I'm biased.)

Others might know of one, though.

Good Luck

The point is:I want to PLAY the drums like this. recording and editing is not the issue, though I would rather not have to do that every time.

Maybe the best thing is to just get a more current drum brain that has a foot controller. I wonder if anyone makes something cheap with just MIDI out, and not a sound module. That would be perfect for me.

Back