electronic drum kit recomendations

rohlson730

I am going to be moving into an apartment ina few months and am gonna need an electronic drum kit to record. My buddy tells me roland is the best. Anyone out there able to tell me what I can get possibly used for under $1000? What are everyone's recomendatiosn on these things.
Steel

Last time I checked you could get a new Alesis DM Pro kit from Musicians Friend for $1500. That's much better than any rubber-pad set and the price is great!

I played Roland kit a few days ago and I really liked it- except for the pads were way smaller than real drums. I don't know much about electronic sets but I do know these had rubber heads and the last kit i played had these white nylon mesh or something like that for heads. I really liked the black rubber heads better- it felt more natural. Good luck!

Count me as a mesh-head aficionado. I've been playing a Hart StudioBX kit for the last couple of years (similar to the Alesis kit, since Hart OEMs that hardware for Alesis).

Prior to that, I played the Roland TD7 rubber-pad kit for several years- and killed several PD7 and PD9 trigger pads, not to mention having a few flareups of tendonitis for my troubles. I do not care for the way the rubber pads feel, and I gave them a good, long try. You may not mind that, but be aware of it as you try them out.

One other thing: reliability. I don't know anything about the Yamaha rubber-pad kits, but the Roland rubber pad triggers are very fragile. I've had them die in many ways, up to and including breaking right off the mount rod in the middle of a tune.

That's what led me to the Hart hardware: it is much, much more solidly built. The pricey Roland V-drum pads use the same fatigue-prone mounting techniques as their rubber pads, so that eliminated them right away when I was choosing a new kit.

I use the Harts with a Roland TD-10exp and an Alesis DM5, and have had very good luck with them. You'll find them to be worth looking into, I think...

One other piece of bad news: even though you don't get the acoustic drum and cymbal sounds annoying the nighbors, you will still get the mechanical vibrations of the kick pedal transmitted by the floor. You may find, regardless of which kit you get, that you'll need to build a floating platform to set up on in order to avoid neighbor complaints. The electronic kits are much quieter, but they aren't a panacea: if you play with a heavy touch, that kick is going to travel!

Just my opinions- hope they help you out.

Back