Electro-Voice 635A

travis16vp

What do you think of the Electro-Voice 635A as a trombone mic for both recording and live gigs? Is it better than an Sm57 or 58? I'm looking for a rugged and durable mic that I can use on my funk and ska gigs and at the same time be good enough for home recording of a jazz trio with trombone. comments anyone? thanks

I'd bet it would be good for recording, but for live, it's omni-directional pattern might give you some feedback problems.

If your taking suggestions, I just tracked a live gig where I took a chance and used a EV 468 on trombone. It did REALLY well. Had a nice edge that helped it cut through the mix, yet stayed true to the instrument. For Rock and Ska, I'd bet it would be a winner. You should be able to find one used on ebay for roughly the same price as a new 57. Probably a little more.

Good luck

It wouldn't be my first choice for recording or for live. It's a good mic for what it was designed to do - on-the-scene news reporting.

AGCurry said:
It wouldn't be my first choice for recording or for live. It's a good mic for what it was designed to do - on-the-scene news reporting.
I have never used mine for reporting but find it to have some very musical properties.

There's something very appealing about the 635a. Maybe it's because it's such a historic mic on TV. Once in a while they have retro compilations on TV from old shows from the 60s like the Mike Douglas Show... there were some very cool musicians performing on TV with the 635a.

I like it on my amp for a different sound than a 57. And it's one of the most rugged mic's ever made and that's kind of cool too.

I haven't done this but read it online so it's got to be true :eek: : a guy tossed a 635a as high in the air as he could and let it drop on a concrete floor. Just to test its ruggedness. Plugged it in and it worked. He did it again. This time it landed on the connector end and bent the housing so the cable wouldn't fit. Grabbed the pliers and bent the housing out, plugged it in. Yep. Worked again. I'll have to try that to see if it's true.

EDIT: bet one of those wimpy Schoeps mic's couldn't do that. I'll see.

Tim

Last edited:
i used a pair of 635a's to record a whole album - my high school band, we blew HARD - but the sound was GREAT on those mics - i never used them live, but for recording, they really sound pretty accurate and warm, IIRC.

As noted, it's an omni which will probably pickup more than you want.

I'd suggest an RE-20. Great horn mic. More than suitable for recording. Usable live. Also usable on lots of other things as well (kick, vocals, etc.).

Back