Electro Harmonix Ribbon Mic

wallystripes

Has anyone tried it? It is not that expensive and may be interesting. The problem I've found with some EH equipment (stompboxes) is their products are great ideas but the result ends up being not that great (theres volume loss, noise, no LED, etc)

Hope this is not the case. One thing I reckon about EHX es their products are very well built

It is an interesting looking mic but there are many ribbon mics in that price range that have more users.
Has it been discontinued?

IDK Wally for all of the Electro Harmonix stuff I've encountered I would stay away from a Electro Harmonix Ribbon Mic.

Yup, thats what I was fearing. Im such a gear slut, there is always I want to buy. Beofre getting into recording it was (and still is) about guitars, effects, and synths and now it is about mics. My gear will never be complete, there will always be a piece I am missing.

Actually I realized a couple of days ago that what I need to spend my money the most is my pedalboard, it is so lame :S so I guess a distortion pedal and a delay will come first, then I will be able to think about mics

I've seen pedal boards that go to the extreme and only fit inside of a 32 channel mixing console touring case! 40+ pedals! Insanity!

I guess you're right, but Im more of an old school guy :D there's something cool about dancing around while you are performing

If you want a budget ribbon mic that is at least equal to the EHX, get an Apex 210. Most of the budget ribbons are all made in the same Chinese factory anyway, but Apex is distributed by Yorkville, so at least you have an American/Canadian connection with the distributor. (same company that handles Traynor amps) Apex has a dual ribbon 215 also, but the sound is different than the single ribbon.

The lowest common denominator in ribbons is considered to be the Lundahl modded Cascade. The Cascade is usable unmodded, but still costs more than the Apex.

Rumor is that place that has been in the news lately, Foxconn, in China makes 50% of all the electronics sold in the USA now anyway, and there are only 3 or 4 big Chinese factories total that make almost everything electronic we use, including mics, tubes, etc.

go to affordableaudio.com and look thru his price list. He posts the price list for all to see, and he will sell anything from Yorkville (which covers Traynor and Apex) for 60% list + shipping. So that Apex 210 ribbon would be $96 + ship.

Notice that you dont hear much about the EH ribbons. Theres probably a good reason for that.
As more sound says i'd stay away from it.
I dont own one so i might be barking up the wrong tree.
Nor do I own an apex 210. but i do have an apex 205 (rebadged) and as entry level ribbons go. I like it.
There is some disputes on the net as to weather the Apex 210 is as good as the 205 but then thats your call.
If i was you and your budget will stretch I'd plump for the Lundahl modded Cascade.
Do plenty of research and make sure you have a good clean pre with plenty of clean gain and stay away from 48v Phantom power. Be extra careful with ribbons too.

Good luck I hope you find the right mic for your needs.

Actually EHX ribbons are made in Russia, not in China. At least that's what I read. But yes, I think it is not the best option. I will keep searching, Cascade looks nice but is a bit out of my budget.

And yes, I will need a nice pre. I thought pres on my Tascam us 144 mk2 were loud enough, but I proved I was wrong when I tried my ev 635a on them. They work fine with my akg c4000b and sm57, level always between 12 o'clock and 2, but with the EV I had to crank them all the way up. I cant imagine how this would be with a ribbon mic.

@wallystripes

Don't know what your budget is, but have you checked out these at €295 ? DIYAC RM-5 Ribbon Microphone

This mic was offered in kit form for a limited time (due to a cosmetic machine shop error in the bodies), and I have a pair on the way.

Paul

@prhunt wow that mics looks really nice, more profesional than most entry level mics. Actually it is a bit out of my budget, but I will keep an eye on it and perhaps I could save up to get one. Thanks for your suggestion!

I got one LoJ. It's OK for the money. I did a quick and dirty mod to it and took the inner mesh out of the head basket and realized the improvement. ;)

Back