Electric drums and midi interface

Nugagerube

Okay I want to record my electric drums on midi. I was wondering if a could record them on the midi controllers that have a keyboard with it. I have a Yamaha DTX550K drumset. I also have my own yamaha piano too with midi in and midi out capabilities. So maybe I can just get a MIDI device and record piano and drums seperately. i was also wonder if I can record my own personal songs into my electric drums like from a piano and play them. it says on the specs it has 20 user songs and a builtin seuqncer but i am a bit new to all of this so idk. Thanks for the replies ahead of time!

You probably can do all the things you're asking.

If you have a MIDI cable, try plugging it from say, the MIDI out on your drumset into the MIDI in of your keyboard and you should be able to play your keyboard from your drums, but they must be on the same channel.

In the big picture what you will probably want is an interface for a computer so you can record on a computer, but for now I'd just try messing around with what you have. You can't do any harm plugging MIDI cables in "wrong", there is no "wrong", it just might not work but it won't screw anything up.

You probably can do all the things you're asking.

If you have a MIDI cable, try plugging it from say, the MIDI out on your drumset into the MIDI in of your keyboard and you should be able to play your keyboard from your drums, but they must be on the same channel.

In the big picture what you will probably want is an interface for a computer so you can record on a computer, but for now I'd just try messing around with what you have. You can't do any harm plugging MIDI cables in "wrong", there is no "wrong", it just might not work but it won't screw anything up.

Would I be able to record piano parts on my drums into one of the user songs slots?

How much is an interface and what does it look like? Is it a MIDI recorder and keyboard in one?

Would I be able to record piano parts on my drums into one of the user songs slots?

I don't know. I'd check the manual on that one, or just go ahead and try it.

How much is an interface and what does it look like? Is it a MIDI recorder and keyboard in one?

A MIDI interface could be as simple as an M-Audio Uno which is $30-40 ($25 used) or it could be built into an audio interface, into a keyboard, a sound module, a card for your computer... there's not just one kind. Try search for "interface" on this site, although most will be audio interfaces, which may or may not have MIDI, most do.

If your keyboard or drums have USB ports then you won't even need to get a MIDI interface to hook it up to a computer, a USB cable would do it.

I don't know. I'd check the manual on that one, or just go ahead and try it.

A MIDI interface could be as simple as an M-Audio Uno which is $30-40 ($25 used) or it could be built into an audio interface, into a keyboard, a sound module, a card for your computer... there's not just one kind. Try search for "interface" on this site, although most will be audio interfaces, which may or may not have MIDI, most do.

If your keyboard or drums have USB ports then you won't even need to get a MIDI interface to hook it up to a computer, a USB cable would do it.

Okay, I will search about that more.

My drums do not have a USB port but thank you for you're help.

Back