"El flapo" strikes again... Now an acoustic song

TripleM,
try this one
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1251/

by the way flapo1,
I like the lirics dude, poetic quality ofcource is lost in the translation but the message is there. I prefer "I" , first person lirics. It's kind of a general statement I guess, my wifes songs got plenty of "You" lirics and I love them. I could alaborate on this but this is to subjective I think.

some will relate to these word, some will not understand, some may be aggitated, in either case you said what you wanted to say and the rest is not up to you. :)

cheers

Hey flapo, there are basically two types of headphones.....open-air and closed. The closed-back 'phones are sealed so that the speaker cup is completely sealed around your ear so the only opening is the one facing your ear. They provides good isolation from room sounds and also keep the sound from "leaking" into the room. Open-air phones have an open back on the speaker-cups.; often a grill of some type. With these you can still hear room sounds almost as well as if you didn't have them on and, of course, the sound can get "out" of the headphones into the room. They both have their place but I find that open-air phones have a more natural sound and don't have as much of that unatural feeling of isolation that you get with closed phones. So with the open-airs...since you can hear the room sounds it's a lot like leaving one earcup off of one ear. You can hear your natural voice fine and that usually makes it easier to sing. But like I said....if you run them very loud, you might get some bleedover into your vocal mic. I use Seinheiser 580's. very fine, flat audiophile phones. They've been replaced by the 600's so you can find them at close-outs for as little as $150. They listed for $350 so I consider them a steal and have bought several pairs.

Thanks Bob

But that's a luxury that I can't afford now. I need more mics urgently (some 57's and stuff)

Thanks, Fed.

Hhhmmmmm... Seems like i'm just increasing my post count here...:D ;)

EDIT: Seems like the time allowed to edit the post has passed away, I emailed Dragon, I hope he answers

Hi Flapo,

I wasn't sure which two songs you were posting,so I listened to Naces.
Are you using the C-1 and 603 on this?

I really like your acoustic guitar sound,and the vocals are great!
Very moving song,nice writing!
Wish I could understand Spanish though,I feel like I'm missing out on the best part!:D

Very enjoyable!

Best to you,
Pete

Muzeman: Glad you liked it, yes, it was the song I posted yesterday. Today I posted another one, "Mas". Regarding the lyrics, they're no big deal. You can see a translation in the first page, about the fifth post.

In this one I recorded the voice with the C1 though it wasn't in a good room by any means, anyway I liked it very much.

For the acoustic I used the mxl603s pointing to the 12th. fret and the C1 over my shoulder. To my ears, the 603 gives it the "sparkle" and the C1 the body, but I really like 'em both. However if I had to use only one for acoustic, I would use the 603s, it has an incredible sound for it. Bear in mind that my acoustic is not more than a low-end Ovation!

Thanks again for your post :)

Hey Flapo,

I listened to "Mas". I could understand about 70% of the lyrics and thought they were well written.

I think some congas(sp?) or something of the ilk would be a nice percusion addition. Is the bass panned right or is my head tiltled? If my head is on straight, I'l put the bass down the middle:D .

You had a nice little git lead and I thought you should pop back in with some more on the outro break to build it some more.

I don't really know how but, I thought the breaks between verses could be sharper and more pounding. It isn't a performance thing.....more like a more aggressive mix approach to give it some punch..

Nice vocals,....Might be cool to add some backups with alot of reverb that repeat the "more alchohol" and "more food" and "more women" lines. Kinda giving it a party atmosphere...Just a thought, mind you.

Fun arrangment. It lacks that "reverb blanket" that I hear on other mexican band tunes on the radio and I think I like that. I go nuts listening to soooooo much reverb on every tune and the dj's voice as well:D ;) .

Peace,

Theron.

Thanks, theron!

So you speak spanish, huh?

Great! What bands have you listened to? Generally speaking, I like better argentinian bands than mexican; mexicans tend to overuse stuff like reverb, as you said, and "ethnical" arrangements and instruments, forgetting that mexican music has a lot of spanish and french influences. Well, enough ranting about mexican rock :D :p

Well, concerning your thoughts about the mix, I will try to put it again thru ozone (I wont use the "m-------- word") and add a bit more punch to the mix. I really tried to make it an abrupt change but could never do it right the way I wanted to. What you say about the backup vocals and the solo in the outro I had thought about it too but was too lazy to do so. Actually the lyrica are not a "party" ones, instead it talks about how life kinda falls in a void when you can't get enough of nothing. In the bridge it says "I don't care about you, I don't care about me, I don't care about anything at all but having more"

Hey flap. I finally got there. I listened to Mas

Real smooth sound. Good song and good recording. Nice guitar hook. Tight performances all around. Good job.

Quite a bit of delay on the lead vocals. A bit too much for me. It seems you have a slight delay going to one side - a bit distracting when listening on headphones.

The was one section (which first appears at :42) that to me cries out for harmonies.

But still a good sound.

"More Money, More Women" - More songs like this.

Listened to "Mas." You're a talented guy. I think I can hear everything...(is that a flange on the vocal, or is my head just spinning?).

Sounds really good to me.

quick followup - you asked about tracking backup vox, and I don't know what's right. The way I usually do them is by turning the lead vox down to a level where I can hear the phrasing, but pretty low. Then I mute every track except the bass (hopefully, it's in tune). I take a couple of practice runs to make sure the phrasing's right, then boom. Good or bad, it's done. To check 'em, I play just the vocal tracks...dry; no instruments. If they blend like that, then they'll blend no matter what you do.

Give us "mas."
-chris

TripleM:

Thanks for your reply! It's not quite a delay, but a strange effect I used by double-tracking the vox and flanging one (you guessed right, chris!) and distorting the other, then panning both just about 1 o'clock. I'll see what I can do for the harmonies part, maybe I will be able to sing them...;) :D

Chris: Yes, it is flange, as I said earlier. Thank you very much this thread has been very encouraging to me! It's a good technique for the back vox, I'll use it next time.

And thanks everyone, too !!!! :)

Actually the lyrica are not a "party" ones, instead it talks about how life kinda falls in a void when you can't get enough of nothing. In the bridge it says "I don't care about you, I don't care about me, I don't care about anything at all but having more"

Yes, I got the jist of the lyrical message. I just thought the "party atmosphere" in the mentioned sections would be kind of a cool contradition........

My Mexican musical experience is restricted to what my co-workers listen to. Mostly the local radio station. I do recall a popular song called "adios" The song is way cool and the rest of the cd is pretty damn good too. I don't recall the band.

I speak some spanish but, I learned it on the streets and at work so, my writting skills are next to zero. I can hold a converstation though. I know enough to converse with a friend and get slapped in a bar:D :D

peace,
Theron.

Back