Eight miles from Stafford

Goldilox

This is my new original, it's already been through a few incarnations & now it's getting there, but it's still not quite hitting the spot for me.

Attachments

• 8 miles demo.mp3
    8 MB · Views: 13
Cool song...I was going to say that it sounds really "lo-fi" then I noticed that you actually have that in your signature so I guess thats where you want to be. I was really anticipating it to "kick in" with a "hi-fi" sound. So my only nits would be purely subjective because anything really goes. Anyway, I would use a pop-filter on your vocals. Although you are using some kind of distortion or clipping out, the pops are very easy to hear. Also, the total volume is pretty low and everything seems to sit way way back. I think you could still achieve that "lo-fi" sound while having some energy in it. Its a cool song though.

Thanks for listening @Bruthish. I suppose the idea of this one was to contrast a grungy vocal with a slightly more conventional 'country-rock' feeling backing track, but you're right - it's that lack of energy that's bothering me. It should be laid back rather than lacklustre....

The vocal is not really 'grungy', it's just distorted, not sure that really works for the sound of the instruments, think it wold work with a more blues sound (which the res could be). The acoustic is hard to hear - somewhat peaky, some compression on it to even out the loud-on-strum sound maybe - but the bass and res are ok.

I always liked stark songs like this where the lyrics take most of seat.
The recording as a whole sounds slight woolly to me. Like the edges are a little blurred.
But not completely in a "bad" way, really. Seems to fit in a way.
Definitely some good songwriting, though.

The vocal is not really 'grungy', it's just distorted, not sure that really works for the sound of the instruments, think it wold work with a more blues sound (which the res could be). The acoustic is hard to hear - somewhat peaky, some compression on it to even out the loud-on-strum sound maybe - but the bass and res are ok.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance -what do you mean by 'res' in this context?

Attached is the current mix which I've tinkered with in light of your advice. What's changed:

-Increased the compression on the acoustic and pulled it up a bit. Also EQed out some mud on both that and the lead guitar part.
-Toned down the distortion & reduced the EQ mid boost on the vocal so it's a bit less OTT but still has some of that 'telephone effect' I was after.
-Ditched the amp sim from the bass and compressed and EQed the clean signal for extra 'snap'

View attachment 8 miles demo mix2.mp3

You'll have to forgive my ignorance -what do you mean by 'res' in this context?

Attached is the current mix which I've tinkered with in light of your advice. What's changed:

-Increased the compression on the acoustic and pulled it up a bit. Also EQed out some mud on both that and the lead guitar part.
-Toned down the distortion & reduced the EQ mid boost on the vocal so it's a bit less OTT but still has some of that 'telephone effect' I was after.
-Ditched the amp sim from the bass and compressed and EQed the clean signal for extra 'snap'

View attachment 92976

Res - resonator guitar ....

I am listening on a regular stereo JBL floor speakers and a sub, for reference. I like the song and the vibe you give. I could put this into my rotation, good song.

Mix 2, there is low end <100, but I am not hearing a clear bass. I am just not use to hearing a bass thump. Really could use a bass sound to work with the guitars.

Sounded like the vocals are going through a saturation effect of some sort. Sounds good what ever it is.

Guitar and vocals really worked well. The guitar being in front really worked for this song.

Nice jug sound (old US mountain man's bass) would be pretty cool in this song. Really liked the song. Great tune!

I listened to both versions. And mix #2 is a definite improvements. Less effects on the vocal and the acoustic guitar is brighter.

I'm hearing quite a few plosives on the vocal track. You're maybe a little too close to the mic and/or you need a pop filter.

Little timing mistake on the guitar at around :24.

A few too many guitar fills for my taste.

The acoustic guitar, even in mix 2, is still a little lacking a little clarity. There's a little mud in it.

Vocal is still lacking a bit of clarity.

Not sure what you were trying to do with the guitar strumming starting at 3:11 or so, but the rhythm gets way off for a few bars.

Back