EH 12AY7 question please!

errr314

Hello! I have a quick question for anyone who has/uses one of these. Basically I am using it for vocals. I would like to use one of the outputs in the back to go to my PA and the other output to go into my recording device (400f). My question is .... which output will be the best one to plug into the 400f? I obviously want the "best" sound into the recording device. Or are they both equal? I have read the TRS output is used more for just monitoring but I am not sure. I can't experiment either because I dont quite have it yet :). Any help appreciated!

The XLR output is the high quality signal. The other is noisy, due I hear to the volume pot it goes through.

dont have the schemo to read but if they are both line level outputs(as they should be) i doubt there's a diff... probably just a parallel output for convenience...

dementedchord said:
dont have the schemo to read but if they are both line level outputs(as they should be) i doubt there's a diff... probably just a parallel output for convenience...
I own two and have used them a lot. There's a big difference. In fact it sounds like more difference than I'd expect from just having a pot before the TRS out would make.

Oh, and be sure you're going into a balanced input.

I have 3 12AY7 pre's and Timothy is right. The XLR output comes straight from the tube side of the pre (input gain only), the TRS output uses the extra level control which puts an IC into the signal path and allows you to control that output independently (which lets you overdrive the input if you choose).

I'd run the XLR out to your recording device and use the TRS out to go to the live setup. This will also allow you to attenuate the level going to the P.A. without effecting the signal going to the recorder, which is set with the input gain.

Hope this helps,

Lucio

Back