Egg Cartons instead of foam?

DreadfulJake said:
Hey i heard that egg cartons could be used instead of foam is this true?
Only if you want to store your eggs on your walls. They are useless for anything else.

Search this forum for "egg cartons", other people have explained it better than I can. :)

DreadfulJake said:
Hey i heard that egg cartons could be used instead of foam is this true? If so how would I go about installing eggcartons?

Jake,

You can do this if - and only if - you don't want any meaningfull results.

The egg carton myth is just that - a myth.

The value of an egg carton is so low as to be almost non-existent.

So there isn't anyway to instruct you on the proper installation for something that doesn't work.

BTW - for what it's worth - the same is true for foam products........ there are acoustic foams that have good value for the investment - and products that are much (MUCH) less of a value.

An exmple of this would be Auralex products - which are higher in density and value than the Foam By Mail products - which are different materials altogether - lighter in density and have no test data supporting their claims of higher absorbtion rates than is true.

Also - please make certain that if you choose to use foam - that it is acoustic foam - and not packing foam.

The foam that brought about all those people deaths in Rhode Island (and more recently in South America) was in fact packing foam....... and packing foam is not treated with fire retardants.

Good luck,

Rod

egg cartons can be installed on the walls with simple staples.

However, you'll find it to be a complete waste of your time, waste of egg cartons, and waste of staples.

Yeah, egg cartons are worthless for anything other than carting eggs. They do squat for acoustics. What you want to do is get some rigid fiberglass, like Owens Corning 703 or Johns Manville Spin-Glas board. Look around, about half of the discussion on this forum is about this stuff.

I disagree...

Rod Gervais said:
An exmple of this would be Auralex products - which are higher in density and value than the Foam By Mail products - which are different materials altogether - lighter in density and have no test data supporting their claims of higher absorbtion rates than is true.

I have both Auralex and Foambymail and I am telling you it is the same stuff. The only diffence I see is some foambymail pieces are not cut clean. Out of a pack of 48 tiles maybe 2 had rough edges. And they do have NRC ratings posted in all of their adds on EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3278&item=3777977995&rd=1

DON"T let that machined look fool you. When you REMOVE material from foam, you are actually REDUCING its effectiveness. Those anachoic looking wedges do NOTHING for diffusion OR increasing absorption. In reality, the thinner the piece the less it absorbs lower frequencys. Its already been tested :rolleyes: You would do better to simply have flat panels.........LIKE OC703.........DOH!!
fitZ

Back