EFFECTS to use on vox trax

yiordanaki

Hi guys,

Heres another mixing question pertaining to vocals.

What are some effects you use on your vocals when recording?

(eg. reverb, chorus, compression etc etc.)

And how do you accomplish it?? (techniques, hardware?, software?)

If possible, put up a short mp3 demo of the effects used on your voice. (only needs to be small , but i think it will help me and others to learn more when hearing what specifically causes what sound to occur).

thanks again!

y

Great links.

I use anwida reverb light (free!). It is one of the best reverbs I've heard. It is a Direct X plug and can be downloaded from www.anwida.com

I used it on this song. It may not be the kind of music you guys listen to, but you will hear the results of the reverb. I used the anwida on the lead, tenor, and baritone. I used a fasoft chorus effect on a stack on the tenor and baritone. It is not as good in mp3, but I guess you know that.

www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2892/singles

gospel.
you're right, not my kind of style.........

but, the singing was great!!

The reverb on it sounded pretty good too ( maybe a little dry for my liking)!

The harmonies are great at the end.

I'll look into that FREE anwida.

y

yiordanaki said:
gospel.
you're right, not my kind of style.........

but, the singing was great!!

The reverb on it sounded pretty good too ( maybe a little dry for my liking)!

The harmonies are great at the end.

I'll look into that FREE anwida.

y

I like a little more reverb myself also, but in this genre it is not popular. For what it's worth, this is really not my kind of music. I like more contemporary stuff, but it is the only song that the tenor, baritone, and lead are in my range.

I just posted a question that is similar to this one in the recording techniques forum. I wanted to know if using compression while tracking vocal and acoustic guitar has advantages over compressing afterwards. I had over 50 views before anyone answered to tell me that 'it depends.' Do any of you guys have any thoughts on this subject?

morindae said:
I just posted a question that is similar to this one in the recording techniques forum. I wanted to know if using compression while tracking vocal and acoustic guitar has advantages over compressing afterwards. I had over 50 views before anyone answered to tell me that 'it depends.' Do any of you guys have any thoughts on this subject?

It's very subjective, morindae. There is too many factor to be considered. Your gears, your instrument, voices, mics, pre-amps, mixer, room, rec. medium, player/singer behavior while tracking (recording process), how loud your average recording level, noise floor, etc... etc...

But the idea is how to capture the signal as clean as possible, and as "safely" as possible. Safely here could generaly means higher Noise to Signal Ratio, without getting clipping and without loosing the expression/dynamic. That's why it's called an art. No one can actually answer "this way is better than another". Off course, if you are one of those perfectionist people, you may try capture 'em one by one (guitar first, then dub the vocals). This case, off course you need multitrack recorder/software. Here's some links you are realy gonna love to read...

http://www.audio-recording-center.com/article-acoustic-guitar.html

and

http://www.audio-recording-center.com/article-mixing.html

Alot of things to dig there on the antire site. Hope it helps.

;)
Jaymz

Back