Effects - Silence

Butch-1

Mr Telecaster !
Is Silence an effect ? I'm using it to take out parts of the vocal track,
But by using it, am I realy using an Effect ? I don't want it to be a effect that will use up my CPU :eek:

i dunno about it using up CPU cycles, but i just use the envelopes in the multitrack view to do that. that doesn't take any up that i know of. and if it does, it's not enough to notice.

Silence isn't an effect, cuz it doesn't change the nature of the file - it just replaces it with silence. But silence takes up disk space - ten seconds of silence takes up just as much space on your hard drive as ten seconds of screaming guitar. More or less. If I'm not mistaken, you accomplish the same thing by using a volume envelope that allows no sound at all.

dobro said:
Silence isn't an effect, cuz it doesn't change the nature of the file - it just replaces it with silence. But silence takes up disk space - ten seconds of silence takes up just as much space on your hard drive as ten seconds of screaming guitar. More or less. If I'm not mistaken, you accomplish the same thing by using a volume envelope that allows no sound at all.

I'm not worred about drive space as much as Processor useage.
so if its not an effect, useage on the Processor is Nill ?
and does envelope also takes up just as much HD space ?

Silence is listed under effect's . so I was wondering, was it an effect that would use up my CPU as other effects do. I would like to know the theroy of how is works / what is it doing to create the Silence.

"Silence" is only available in edit view. It uses cpu while the effect is applied - all it is doing is to write digital silence into the selected part of the file. Then it's done, so no more cpu is used thereafter (any more than playing any other part of the file).

You could say that using volume envelopes uses more cpu because each time you play or mix down the file, the cpu is having to process the volume envelope instructions delivered to it by the session file.

But in either case, it's probably neither here nor there in comparison with the more cpu-hungry effects such as reverbs.

Back