Effects pedal

Mitchmusicman

Guys,
I am getting back in the game after a 5 year lay off. I sold my gear (except guitars) amps, cords, effects pedal board etc back then. I am now ready to buy new. The technology has come so very far in the past 5 years. I am curious as to your opinions to the following: are individual stomp boxes superior to the 'all in one' products? I have had both but they were 80's vintage. Your thoughts? Thanks!
Peace

u should post this in the guitars forum. this forum is more for recording gear. individual pedals can be more expensive depending on how elaborate you want to go, plus a good touring pedalboard is about 300 bucks. plus all of the patch cables, switches, tuner, then start looking for vintage effects boxes. but if all you want is say an overdrive and some wah, you can get much better sounds for less $$ than an all-in-one unit. the story is pretty much the same with all of those things. the more they can do, the less well they do each thing. if you are a fan of certain pedals, like the big muff pi, or the rat, phase 90, or whatever, dont expect to be able to copy them with an all-in-one unit. if you're looking for an easy way to get different sounds and have them portable, (some even double as a di unit, so you can plug right into the PA if your amp blows), aka. convenience, some of those things are pretty damn good. they'll be able to tell you which ones over in the guitar forum.

I think a big question is, do you need lots of various sounds, or are you looking to get one particular sound? I have a POD XT, and like it because I can play with many sounds. I had a few old Digitech, and DOD pedals, but they didn't do what I wanted. Early 80's stuff. Now I can get many sounds, and my pedal was $400. Works for me, but you may have different needs. You might check into an all in one, and see how many effects you will really use. Might not be worth the cost, if you only use a few things.

Good luck searching....
Ed

another way of asking...

If a guy has enough stomp boxes that it weighs 70# (read in another thread) in a case, it would be easier to have one of the all-in-one products. But many guys have a case full of the stomp boxes. So, why is that? Do the stomp boxes sound better? Or is it a matter of economics inasmuch as you can buy the stomp boxes one at time which is obviously easier on the pocket book? Just curious... and thanks in advance for your replies!
Peace.

Move this to guitars?

Mr Dragon is welcome to move this if he wants. No problem. I read 'effect boxes' in the catagory description and was under the influence of a brain fart at the time I guess. Sorry...

As far as quality of sounds/voices several local guys here say that the better al lin one units are really superior to the stomp boxes. The reason is that you can tweek each and everyone to your liking as opposed to the stomp box being 'untweekable' (is that a word :-)

Thanks for the replies!
Peace

Mitchmusicman said:
If a guy has enough stomp boxes that it weighs 70# (read in another thread) in a case, it would be easier to have one of the all-in-one products. But many guys have a case full of the stomp boxes. So, why is that? Do the stomp boxes sound better? Or is it a matter of economics inasmuch as you can buy the stomp boxes one at time which is obviously easier on the pocket book? Just curious... and thanks in advance for your replies!
Peace.
Stomp boxes do one thing well. Effects pedals do many things and are programmable. So, dogmans big question is still the question you need to ask yourself.

And I would say: If you have to ask, then go for the all in one product. :)

I have a 70 lb pedal board. the reason is that there are certain pedals that I really like the sound of. depending on the band, I might be using a big muff pi, rat, nick greer black fuzz, marshall shredmaster, and a small stone. I also prefer the vox brand of wah to a crybaby, and I prefer the zach vex fuzz to the fuzzface. what I mean to say is, I could not emulate a single one of these pedals decently with a multifx. I can actually be more 'tweaked' than a multifx user because I have exactly the tone I want.

Back