Effects on Tascam 2488

justinm.

There are 3 sets of effects you can send to your tracks on the Tascam 2488. Multi-for the guitars, Mic-which are compressors. I am only able to send these effects to 4 tracks. Then there is Single effects-for everything, and you can send them to as many tracks as you like I think.

Regarding the Single effects, is there a way you can add different types of these effects to various tracks? Or can you only choose 1 effect, and then be stuck with it for every track? That's all I have been able to do, and I don't like it.

:DYo Just:

I "think" you might be stuck with just sending that "one" effect. My unit, Yam, has two effects sends; so I can send TWO different reverbs.

BUT, you can beat the system by using an"outboard" effects unit. [Many are good and not expensive.] Check your manual for "outboard effects," and see what it says and it should tell you how to hook it up--not difficult as I could do the same with my Yam AW1600, if I needed to do so.

However, today's synths and drum boxes come with well-pumped-up patches; lots of reverb and I find I do not need to use effects very much, EXCEPT for vocals.

May Spring spring in soon in the midwest.

Green Hornet:eek::D

Last edited:
I thought we'd covered this, but here goes.

The internal effect loop, controlled by the SEND function, is a single (selectable from a library) effect through which any or all tracks can be routed, at individually selectable effect loop levels. Effects available for the internal loop effect are:
-- Reverb
-- Delay
-- Chorus
-- Pitch shifting w/delay
-- Flanger
-- Phaser
-- Gate

...but only one of these can be selected at a time.

The MIC effects (compressor, de-esser, or vocal exciter - again only one of these at a time) can be used either in conjunction with the multi-effect, or not - more on this a bit further below.

The multi-effect is like a virtual pedalboard, with different presets offering an effect chain of various of the available effects.

Here's how the MIC effects and multi-effect interplay. You can use

EITHER
MIC effect (total four tracks) + multi-effect (one track only, not one with the mic effect assigned)

OR
MIC effect (total eight tracks) with no multi-effect available

AND
Internal loop effect (assignable freely to all 24 tracks regardless of what else is going on

Clear?

I should add that bouncing tracks can give you a shitload of flexibility in effects use.

Also, the Honored Mr. Green Lantern is correct about outboard effects - on the 2488 each track has two outboard sends. The trick is that you route the send from one track through the outboard effect, then into the free input of one of the 8 input channels (which you have to assign to a track).

Yo Zaphod:

Thanks. I always enjoy starting out the day with one correct thought! And, the sun is out in Michigan and it's about time for that.

Enjoy,
Green Hornet:D

I thought we'd covered this, but here goes.

The internal effect loop, controlled by the SEND function, is a single (selectable from a library) effect through which any or all tracks can be routed, at individually selectable effect loop levels. Effects available for the internal loop effect are:
-- Reverb
-- Delay
-- Chorus
-- Pitch shifting w/delay
-- Flanger
-- Phaser
-- Gate

...but only one of these can be selected at a time.

The MIC effects (compressor, de-esser, or vocal exciter - again only one of these at a time) can be used either in conjunction with the multi-effect, or not - more on this a bit further below.

The multi-effect is like a virtual pedalboard, with different presets offering an effect chain of various of the available effects.

Here's how the MIC effects and multi-effect interplay. You can use

EITHER
MIC effect (total four tracks) + multi-effect (one track only, not one with the mic effect assigned)

OR
MIC effect (total eight tracks) with no multi-effect available

AND
Internal loop effect (assignable freely to all 24 tracks regardless of what else is going on

Clear?
ok zap, so your saying that i can't compress the vocals AND add a reverb to it--simaltaneously? i've had a 2488II for 6 months and basically just use the reverb on vocals or guitar. it'd be nice to fatten/clean up the vocals with these internal effects---if i need.

good info, will go home tonight and try a coupla thangs.;)

ok zap, so your saying that i can't compress the vocals AND add a reverb to it--simaltaneously? i've had a 2488II for 6 months and basically just use the reverb on vocals or guitar. it'd be nice to fatten/clean up the vocals with these internal effects---if i need.

good info, will go home tonight and try a coupla thangs.;)
Sure you can.

You can compress with the MIC effect and route the track throught the internal loop effect for reverb.

Back