Effects Loop problems

romikell

I've been trying to do a recording for a friend. We've been using my Boogie Nomad for an amp and running his A3 processor through the effects loop. Some patches sound good, some just start to feed back no matter where we set the levels. I suppose we could just go straight in, but I was kind of hoping to use the fx loop... Another similar thing is I bought this little danelectro pedal the other day and tried running it through the fx loop of another amp (a little crate taxi). Just sounded like hell. At first I thought I had a bad pedal but when I went straight in it was fine. It's still kinda a weird effect but i think that's what it should sound like. I've heard that things like distortion should always go in the front end anyway but I really don't know. So yah,bla, bla, bla, any ideas out there? thx.
Mick Keller.

Did this happen with the amp clean? It will happen alot with the amp dist on since most amps have the fx loop after the distortion. The hot signal level coming out of the Dist can frequently cause feedback on reverb or delay patches.
Jeff

Most stomp boxes are designed to go into the preamp section of an amp.If you use the effect loop,you bypass the preamp and go directly to the output stage.That's ok for rackmount preamps designed to do the job of your amp's pre.But the stompbox needs a preamp section to effect in order to do its designed function.
As to squealing with the rack unit,that sounds like a level matching issue.If you have a mixer,put the output of your rack unit into it and set the level so that it isn't clipping.Then put it back in the amp's effect loop.You may or may not have a level control here.If so,use your ears to make sure you don't saturate the output section with too much juice.
A final note on stomp boxes.These were originally designed to push the tube preamp section of a tube amp into saturation and so change its tone,as opposed to the stompbox adding its own tone to a clean pre.An overdrive unit instead of a distortion unit.See? Old green TS9s are far and away the favorite box for this purpose.
Tom

I should know this stuff. I may have to consult a book and a couples of manuals but I believe that distortion and overdrive pedals should go in front of the preamp and modulation effects, chorus, flange, delay, etc, should go after the preamp...in the effects loop. However, in lots of guitar amps the effects loops are crap. Run your effects through the aux send and return on your mixer, pre or post. You'll get a cleaner signal and have more control over the wet/dry balance. It just depends what type of effect you are using.

Time based effects always follow distortion effects.Imagine distorting your reverb tails...no thanks!
The old rule of thumb is analog effects into the front end and digital effects into the effects loop.
Tom

Does this processor have any EQ or filter section. Most processors have patches that are EQ'ed way to hot for a guitar effects loop. I find you really need to tweak all processors to your individual setup. Factory presets are also setup way to extreme for practical purposes. They do this to make theit processors stand out in a noisy music store and to appeal to the ear candy needs in all of us. When you get it home you realize that most of the presets are not useful.

Back