effects loop from inside Logic

NationalSandwic

hi

any advice on how i can set up a stereo effects loop in Logic Audio?
i usually use VST plugs, but now i have an ensoniq DP4 parallel effects processor and i want to use it!

far as i can see, the only way is to send audio to a bus track, then audio out of the bus to the effects module, then bring it back in on a new audio track.
so, if i've recorded on track 1 & 2, it's

Audio Track 1&2 -> Bus 1 -> DP4 -> Audio Track 3&4

the bus tracks dont have any audio-in options.

i'm getting myself confused...there must be a better way. am i misunderstanding the purpose of effects loops? i want clean/near clean audio so i can experiment and not record already effected stuff. i think that's a solid principle.

thanks for any advice.

Don't know if this helps but...

In Logic 7 Pro, for external devices, there's a plugin called I/O Helper. Use that on your bus. Assign the outputs and the inputs in this plugin. You may still have latency issues though. See the plugin reference manual for more details.

thanks, but i'm on logic 5.1. (pc)

there must be a way, but i can't work it out

latency issues hadn't even occured to me. you think there'll be a latency problem?

Hi NationalSandwic
I tried to cram in a reply on Monday but ran out of time before I had to bail from my desk.

I'm assuming you don't have a mixing desk or the solution would be fairly straightforward.
Do you have some kind of audio card with multiple ins and outs?

This will help in determining how to route your audio. (you are wanting to use a hardware unit, so you *will* need to send the audio out of the virtual environment at some stage. Bussing within Logic is for internal routing only)

Dags

NationalSandwic said:
hi

any advice on how i can set up a stereo effects loop in Logic Audio?
i usually use VST plugs, but now i have an ensoniq DP4 parallel effects processor and i want to use it!

far as i can see, the only way is to send audio to a bus track, then audio out of the bus to the effects module, then bring it back in on a new audio track.
so, if i've recorded on track 1 & 2, it's

Audio Track 1&2 -> Bus 1 -> DP4 -> Audio Track 3&4

Ok, I'll follow up with the assumption that you have at least 4 ins and 4 outs on your audio card.

I haven't tried this myself, and I'm not in the studio ATM, so I am only going by my knowledge of Logic and signal paths.

2 options, assuming you want to keep inputs 1 & 2 free for recording or already have gear patched into it.

Option 1 (no aux bussing in Logic)
Assign the outputs of a track in Logic to soundcard 3 & 4 outs
Connect 3 & 4 out to DP4 ins
Connect DP4 outs to soundcard 3 & 4 ins
Assign new audio track to monitor 3 & 4 ins BUT route audio to 1 & 2 out to avoid creating a continual audio circuit loop.
This will give you a completely wet signal effect all the time

Option 2 (with aux buss control)
Assign buss in Logic to soundcard 3 & 4 outs
Set up aux pot on audio channel to route audio to that buss
Connect 3 & 4 out to DP4 ins
Connect DP4 outs to soundcard 3 & 4 ins
Assign new audio track to monitor 3 & 4 ins BUT route audio to 1 & 2 out to avoid creating a continual audio circuit loop.
Now you can control the amount of effect you want sent to the buss via the pot on the audio channel.

Hope this works.
Someone else out there with more experience in signal routing within Logic's environment may have a better suggestion though.

Dags

Back