Effects for vocal and guitar

NoAccess

Hi there!

I am mixing vocal and guitar. I used EQ and comp for guitar and EQ and reverb for vocal. Settings as well as dry and wet samples you could find in the attachments and by links. I had to reduce guitar lower than 1kHz by 10 dB and more. That looks strangely for me but otherwise there were too much "noise" in sound.

I would kindly appreciate if you tell me what could be improved.

Thanks in advance!

Vocal dry:
Vocal wet:
Guitar dry:
Guitar wet:

Guitar effects: View attachment 110939
Guitar EQ settings: View attachment 110942
Guitar comp settings: View attachment 110933
Vocal effects: View attachment 110951
Vocal EQ settings: View attachment 110954
Vocal reverb settings: View attachment 110957

vocals nice

guitar overdone with EQ. instead of the massive cuts below 1khz. try to retain the warm by being more selective with your EQ, You probably need a little cut around 350hz just to tame back that lil bit of muddy indistinct sound. then scoop around 800 hz while your vocal is playing and is balanced until they play nice together. High pass as minimal as you can if it is only just a vocal/guitar track. so High pass at 80hz ish. Set a low shelf filter at 220hz (this is a standard EQ setting for some consoles) and pull it back intil the low end sounds right. if the high end becomes too much on the guitar, set up a de-esser at 4khz+ to pull it back when it becomes harsh.

I'd probably heavily compress the guitar but mix in 20-30% wet just to fill in some of the holes

play with stereo, pan guitar Left, with reverb right, or just a slap with some modulation effects so you get minimal phase problems (CHECK IN MONO) This gives more room for the vocal, the more your can make the Left/Right panned parts sound different, the less your speakers will smear center image masking vocal. This way you can have the vocal better balanced so you can sit it inside the mix while still have it up front and in your face. Obviously i didn't hear the mix but just things to try.

I preferred the dry guitar sound, the wet was too brittle. harsh. You can strike a nice balance in the middle of those 2 examples you showed us though. Great job

Edit: Oh and use your vocal track to balance the guitar. make sure your vocal level is balanced to the guitar though, if it's too loud you may end up with too much low end overall. This can be tricky because ears get tired, and mids tend to confuse things sometimes.

If you are planning to mix the guitar and vocal, and unless you are trying to achieve a specific effect that you didn't record, IN GENERAL, you should make your decisions about EQ, compression and reverb *in the mix* and not on the individual tracks. Maybe your "wet" tracks sound good mixed, maybe they don't, but I have no idea what you're trying to do in the end.

I do agree the guitar sounds over EQ'd. One problem you may have with guitar and your voice is the significant overlap in frequency range, so I'd expect some cuts in the area of your voice, but what I heard sounded a bit drastic. Maybe if there are more instruments in the mix that I don't know about, like bass, keyboard, drums, etc. that also have LF content and there it is not unusual for the EQ'd guitar to sound pretty thin, when listening to it on its own. But, again, what's your total mix supposed to be?

I believe many (maybe most) of us do not put reverb on a single track, but set up a separate bus with reverb FX and use a SEND to blend in reverb on individual tracks. Again, the amount of send is determined in the context of the mix, and not usually by listening to an individual track. Now, if you want a specific reverb type, like spring on the guitar, plate on the vocal, you might put those on the track, or you might still create a separate bus/send just for a single track, depending on your DAW and workflow, but even then, I'd listen to the individual track only to get a sense of whether that specific verb was the sound I wanted. The amount/wetness is a mix decision.

As far as getting the vocal track and guitar (or whatever else is going to be there), EQ often needs to be spread around a bit, but carefully, to create a specific space for each "instrument" but, personally, I'm a serial ducking abuser, and 98% of the time I will have a bus with guitar(s) and anything else that is stomping on my vocals, and put a tiny bit of compression on that that is sidechained to the [lead] vocal. Not a lot so it's noticeable, but just enough that the clarity (generally consonants/attack) of the vocal is not lost. Just my personal addiction, though...

Hi there!

I am mixing vocal and guitar. I used EQ and comp for guitar and EQ and reverb for vocal. Settings as well as dry and wet samples you could find in the attachments and by links. I had to reduce guitar lower than 1kHz by 10 dB and more. That looks strangely for me but otherwise there were too much "noise" in sound.

I would kindly appreciate if you tell me what could be improved.
Tune the guitar - the vocals sound good - although it's hard for me to tell because of the language - which is to say I'm probably not the best judge.

Back