Effects Bus is making everything MONO. Need stuff to stay STEREO.

endserenading81

Hello everyone,
I have 2 GUITARS, one panned far left, the other right. I partially send both to a REVERB BUS, so it just gives a nice space.

But it doesn't matter if the guitars are panned, .... they are both coming out of the reverb bus in mono.

I want to keep them as they are panned, so that the stereo reverb I put on the bus can bounce some of the Right Guitar to the Left, and vice versa, to give a nice fill space.

I am using Logic Pro. Please help me.

Thank you,
Rob.

Maybe an obvious question but, is the reverb bus stereo? Is it a stereo reverb? I'm not sure if this applies in Logic, but is the reverv bus on a stereo track?

OK, that's 3 questions. Sorry. :D

If the bus is mono there's the problem.

A lot of mono plugins will sum the stereo to mono.

I'm not sure about the particulars of Logic and the Plugin you're using.

EDIT: haha Rami had a faster trigger finger than me and beat me to the punch.

I don't know Logic, but you should be using that software's version of an effects loop rather than a submix group bus. In other words, the guitars' normal path to the main mix bus should not be altered in any way and the effects bus should be fed buy a post fader aux send (whatever it may be called in Logic) from each guitar channel. The aux send from the channels could be either mono or stereo. Both can drive a stereo reverb in a way that gives the guitars more space.

Unfortunately each DAW seems to have its own proprietary way of labeling things that already had perfectly good and universally understood names.

Even with a stereo bus and stereo reverb, I don't think you can pan the reverb from one guitar to one side and one to the other, opposite of they way they are brought to the bus. Do it with a separate reverb bus for each guitar.

That's not what his problem is. He's saying that the guitars are getting summed to mono somehow.

But it doesn't matter if the guitars are panned, .... they are both coming out of the reverb bus in mono.

OH I figured out how to do it. You have to choose POST PAN in the sends menu. If you don't it will just send it Mono to the Aux, even if it's a STEREO Aux/Bus.
Thanks guys!
r

Back