Effects Boards...

TJC

I've found someone who still has a few Akai DPS16 v.3 models including the effects board, but effects aren't important to me, and I honestly do not plan on using any of them.

Is it possible to operate one without the effects board or is it something that ALWAYS needs to be in regardless of whether or not you are using the effects? Is dithering down from 24 to 16-bit a task of the effects card? compressing? Or is the effects card just something you plug in when you need effects?

I play mostly jazz and classical and am really just looking for a no-frills recorder. If I don't NEED the board to operate the recorder, then I might be able to save some money.

Do I know what I'm talking about?

- TJC

Yo TJ: & C:

Effects or FX or reverberation, gives you types of reverberation or "echo."

Normally, you need to cue in effects if you want them. So, if you want this "board" you can buy it and don't worry about the effects. Effects has nothing to do with compression, or other components.

You can, on most units, cue in effects while you are recording; however, the effects are not recorded. The sound in your ears is richer and fuller and creates a kind of sonic euphoria.

I always use effects when recording; however, I don't add them into the song until I mix.

Green Hornet :D :cool:

Back