Effect Sends - Where in the process?

batterista

I'm definitely a noob at engineering home recordings. I've got a Tascam 388, great mics, etc... and my first session is this week. I'm picking up a reverb unit and a compressor/expander for the sessions. Much of the recording will be live (one kick, two drum OHs, electric guitar amp, vocals)... w/ some additional tracking after initial takes (and bouncing, if necessary).

Stupid question: Do I route the incoming signals for each track through the effect sends during the recording process (and therefore have to get those effect levels right before recording), or after the tracks have been laid down? Do the effects get laid down on a new track, or does the current track get overwritten w/ the new one w/ the effects included?

Thanks y'all! I'll post clips when I'm finished!

Stupid question: Do I route the incoming signals for each track through the effect sends during the recording process (and therefore have to get those effect levels right before recording), or after the tracks have been laid down? Do the effects get laid down on a new track, or does the current track get overwritten w/ the new one w/ the effects included?
Not a stupid question at all. Typically, you'd record the dry signal to tape. Exceptions might include compressors (to prevent overloads when tracking) or gates.

If you record a signal with reverb or other effects on it during tracking, you're stuck with that effect. Best to record dry and add your effects during the mix.

Sweet...thanks. Once the tracks are recorded, do I have a choice of whether the track w/ added effects overwrites the original track or whether I record the effects on another track? I'm interested in having reverb panned away from the original (for shaker, for instance), but mostly I won't have the spare tracks. If overwriting the original, I assume I can monitor the effects to set the right levels, then print?

:cool:Yo President "Batterista" in DC:

As noted by our colleagues, most of your tracks are dry; you put in Reverb/affects when you are ready to mix.

I'm not sure if I got you right but my Yamaha unit can only dump two reverbs at once and probably one reverb is plenty. Most good units are putting in the new synths with PLENTY OF REVERB. You can, however, drop off less reverb on the synth program if needed.

IMO, less gimmicks usually puts out a better mix. But, your creative bent is your option. There are so many mix possibilities....

Each day I track stuff I find out or "read--learn" new ideas and suggestions from many folks in the Forum.

Have fun and enjoy.

Green Hornet:cool:

Thanks Hornet. Do you apply the effects during the stereo mixdown, or are they painted onto the track you're running it through? Or can you put the reverb effect on another track?

Until I get my hands on the outboard effects and a two-track reel to reel, I'm actually dumping each track individually from the 388 into cubase and tinkering there. Not ideal, but a stop-gap measure for the time being.

:cool:Yo Batterista:

With my AW1600, I can put reverb and "two" tracks. I seldom us more than 4/5 tracks for most of my work. But, as you know, you can overdub, copy other tracks to double them up, and I can use "any of the dynamic" voices on many tracks. Like, I might find a jazz flute a little soft....just punch in up to three "samples" which add more kick. Then, EQ comes into play often. Sometimes, I find that there are too many "libraries" in the 1600; however, they are always fun and what may come out "one way" will come out another way.

Didn't mean to rattle too much but there is so much to use and learn.

Cheers,
Green Hornet

Back