Effect loops on amps- are they wasting money on extra sockets?

Mr Fruit

Ive had the "possibility" of using effects loops on my amp for the last 20 years. Think i experimentally plugged somthing in to it in the early 90's.

Now I know in theory that there is a reason for them, I think its reduced noise?......but do you ever do it? is there really a difference, other than having to buy another lead?:rolleyes: Will the potential noise loss be cancelled out by the rickety old effects like wah pedals and analogue delays that I use....:)

Do you use them?

I'm working on a new stereo amp with a parallel effects loop (well, just on the design, I'm not building it yet - mostly, I'm working on a rather novel way of controling the tremolo circuit) so that I can use my digital delay without messing up the original signal, so yes, there are times when they are worth it. Also, if you were one of the guys who likes to use rack effects with your guitar, you would find it absolutely invaluable!

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

most effects, other than wah and maybe a few others, actually sound better through the loop.
I wouldn't say that, especially. They sound different if you use a lot of preamp distortion, but some stompboxes really don't like being fed a line level signal.

Now I know in theory that there is a reason for them, I think its reduced noise?

No. It's the ability to run an effect post-gain. A tremolo won't sound right in a loop, and a delay or chorus will sound different in either position, particularly if you get any of your drive from your preamp section.

Typically you run your time-based effects in the loop... delays, reverbs, choruses, tremolos, echoes. They usually sound better after the pre-amp stage and before the power amp. overdrives, wah's, boosts sound best in front of the amp. Of course this isn't everyone's opinion but for the most part that's how it's done.

FX loop is the 2nd best way to jumper a dual input amplifier, and doing anything else sounds like complete garbage. The 1st best way is to connect the speaker outs to the 2nd input.

Telling the truth, I swear.

I use it all the time for delay and reverb.

I use the amps preamp distortion, so any of these types of effects would sound all out of wack distorted.

But if you are only using things like wah and compressor and OD, then I could see where you wouldn't need it.

But delays and reverbs are best when used after the preamp stage.

Hmmm....interesting.

Ill try my delay and chorus through the fx loop then........what difference should I be listening for?:)

FX loop is the 2nd best way to jumper a dual input amplifier, and doing anything else sounds like complete garbage. The 1st best way is to connect the speaker outs to the 2nd input.

Telling the truth, I swear.

Man, the ONLY way I would try that, would be if I was in a store, and the manager said to me, "Go ahead and try it, if it blows the amp I won't hold you responsible." Otherwise, it sounds like a good way to blow an amp- running an amplified signal into the instrument in jack??

Perhaps you mean running a instrument cord from the second input jack of one channel, to the first input jack of the second (tremolo) channel? You can do that on vintage Fender amps without causing any harm, for instance, and it has an interesting sound.

Man, the ONLY way I would try that, would be if I was in a store, and the manager said to me, "Go ahead and try it, if it blows the amp I won't hold you responsible." Otherwise, it sounds like a good way to blow an amp- running an amplified signal into the instrument in jack??

Perhaps you mean running a instrument cord from the second input jack of one channel, to the first input jack of the second (tremolo) channel? You can do that on vintage Fender amps without causing any harm, for instance, and it has an interesting sound.
You've been punked.

:D I was into the rum last night and feeling randy.

For the uninitiated internet readers, do not connect your speaker out to anything but speakers. Ever.

And that's randy with a small r.

I run my Musicman HD130 head like that most of the time. Yes, that is the only safe way to connect both channels and you do get some great flexibility with the tone settings.

Back