Editing indivisual tracks?

Johnbmx26

Hello,
I'm looking to record drums.. I have all my mics and I'm using a yamaha mg12/4 analog mixer. This is all going into my ibook laptop through an imic interface. I'm getting decent results through the interface.. not to great though. My main question was.. is there anyway to edit the tracks seperatly on my computer?

Any recommendations on what to get to mix each track on my computer? Also, an interface for better quality than the Griffin imic?

It'd be great if it wasn't to expensive. I thought I was already set with my mixer and my mics..but i guess not? If this helps, I'm using a total of 6 mics.. maybe 7.

Thanks
John

You need a sound card that has as many INPUTS as you need for individual tracks that would have to be recorded SIMULTAINIOUSLY. What that means is, if you wanted to tight mic a drum kit with seven mics and then be able to manipulate those seven mics individually after the fact, you'd need a sound card with 8 inputs, and that would only give you 1 open track for bass or whatever. Now you can keep stacking up more tracks on subsequent passes (as many tracks as your computer has horse power) but things like drums, not to mention multitracking an entire band in one take requires multiple inputs that plain Jane sound cards just don't have.

You'd probably need it for the mic preamps and phantom power source. Also submixing mics, using the inserts as direct outs if you DID have a sound card with multiple inputs. It's still a pretty usefull thing to have. Your sound card just sucks pond water, that's all.

Well you can still use the mixer for preamps, as you need a preamp on each mic before the signal hits the soundcard anyway..

Actually I use a yamaha mg12/4 when i'm tracking drums, cause I only have 2 dedicated preamps, and the pre's in the mg are OK by my standards, at least for the price anyway..

I use my 2 dedicated pre's on the snare and bassdrum, and all other mics goes through the 12/4..
The little trick on the 12/4 is tom use the channel inserts as direct out on each channel. you do this by connecting a standard patch cable to the insert of the channel in use, NOT all the way in the jack, but over the first "bump" on the jack-connector, so you need to plug the patchcable in 70% of the way.. (did I just make sense there..???)

Anyways, there you have your 4 mono preamps with direct outs on channel 1-4, and your other mics can be routed out via the ST OUT and group bus on the mixer..

Now you just need a soundcard with multiple input's, something like the M-audio 1010 or something like that..

How many mics do you have on your drums..?

drpfeffer said:
Well you can still use the mixer for preamps, as you need a preamp on each mic before the signal hits the soundcard anyway..

Actually I use a yamaha mg12/4 when i'm tracking drums, cause I only have 2 dedicated preamps, and the pre's in the mg are OK by my standards, at least for the price anyway..

I use my 2 dedicated pre's on the snare and bassdrum, and all other mics goes through the 12/4..
The little trick on the 12/4 is tom use the channel inserts as direct out on each channel. you do this by connecting a standard patch cable to the insert of the channel in use, NOT all the way in the jack, but over the first "bump" on the jack-connector, so you need to plug the patchcable in 70% of the way.. (did I just make sense there..???)

Anyways, there you have your 4 mono preamps with direct outs on channel 1-4, and your other mics can be routed out via the ST OUT and group bus on the mixer..

Now you just need a soundcard with multiple input's, something like the M-audio 1010 or something like that..

How many mics do you have on your drums..?

I'm going to be using 6-7..

Johnbmx26 said:
I'm going to be using 6-7..
Hi John, I don't have my 12/4 here nesides me now, but I downloadet the manual off yamaha's site, to doublecheck the signal routing.. I even drew you a little diagram to help my ramblings.. (it's from a 16/4 but you should "get the picture")
https://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8032/yam1243pa.gif

First, you have 4 mics in the mono channels 1-4 via the insert/direct out, meaning that you don't push the on button's, cause then you will blend these 4 channels with the ST OUT signal.

You plug 2 extra mics in through the XLR inputs on channel 5/6 and 7/8
Turn both channels on, pan 5/6 all the way left, and pan 7/8 all the way right.
Now you will have the signal from one channel on the L ST OUT jack and the other on the R jack.

drpfeffer said:
Hi John, I don't have my 12/4 here nesides me now, but I downloadet the manual off yamaha's site, to doublecheck the signal routing.. I even drew you a little diagram to help my ramblings.. (it's from a 16/4 but you should "get the picture")
https://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8032/yam1243pa.gif

First, you have 4 mics in the mono channels 1-4 via the insert/direct out, meaning that you don't push the on button's, cause then you will blend these 4 channels with the ST OUT signal.

You plug 2 extra mics in through the XLR inputs on channel 5/6 and 7/8
Turn both channels on, pan 5/6 all the way left, and pan 7/8 all the way right.
Now you will have the signal from one channel on the L ST OUT jack and the other on the R jack.

Thanks Dude..
I'll try that out when I get a chance..

Any recommendations on the soundcard with multiple inputs?
I'd like to still use my analog mixer if it's cheaper that way..
I'm using an apple ibook.

EDIT: I found a Motu 828 for a decent price. Would this work? Would I be able to edit indivusual tracks? Would I still need my Yamaha MG12/4?

Thanks
John

Last edited:
any suggestions???

Actually don't have that great of a deal on the MOTU 828 anymore cause it was already sold. Anything similar to his that I could use to record indivusual tracks? But still using my yamaha mixer?

John

Back