Editing in Sonar.

Johnalex

Does anyone find it very hard to do editing in Sonar?

When I go to edit audio within Sonar, I find it hard to make small changes, all of the changes have to be large. Is there a way in sonar to make editing audio easier.?

Well, you need to be a little more specific about what exactly it is that you're attempting to do with the audio that you want to edit. Are you intending to cut, copy, paste or alter the audio by EQ, or what are you trying to do that you find hard?!

Carlos

I agree with Carlos. You need to be more specific.

However, have you tried the zooming tools. Generally for very small edits you need to zoom in on the file. Also, when trying to move something, use the Slide tool. You can use this tool to move something by as little as 1 tick.

hmm here is an example.

Lets say I am recording vocals and the vocalist adds on a extra work they don't want, but the rest of the take is perfect. What is the best way to edit that word out. I have been exporting the file to Sound Forge and edditing it but that is time consuming , is there a way to do it in Sonar?

Also, I have looked all thru the manual, maybe I am looking in teh wrong chapeters, but how do I assign single chanenls to busses?..other then the L/R main buss.

thanks for teh fast responses

John,

For the first part of the question look up Slip Editing... basically drag the end of the take to the left (ie shorten it). It won't play back the last word... or how much you select. FYI - You can do this with the start of a clip also. If the word is in the middle... you can split the track then use slip edit to remove the word.

To assign single channes to busses, you set the output to the bus you want then set the output of that bus to where you want it to go. You will need to make sure you have set up the number of Aux busses to more than 1.. (Options -> Audio, General Tab -> Number of Aux Busses)

Porter

BTW... if any of the menu's aren't entirely right I'm typing this all from memory at work.

Johnalex said:
hmm here is an example.

Lets say I am recording vocals and the vocalist adds on a extra work they don't want, but the rest of the take is perfect. What is the best way to edit that word out. I have been exporting the file to Sound Forge and edditing it but that is time consuming , is there a way to do it in Sonar?

Also, I have looked all thru the manual, maybe I am looking in teh wrong chapeters, but how do I assign single chanenls to busses?..other then the L/R main buss.

thanks for teh fast responses

I agree with Porter, PLUS, slip editing is non-destructive (you just never know when THAT little feature can save you!) I use Sound Forge a lot too (mainly pitch correction), but IMHO, the best remedy for your example is to keep it in Sonar.

Another example: Just last week I had a weird overtone on a single note on a violin line (something I didn't catch during tracking) I was prepared to live with it (didn't want to put my 'performance hat' back on,) BUT I then decided to try and split another portion of the take with the exact same note (sounding correctly though). It took all of 5 minutes to isolate the good note and split/copy/splice it over the weird one.. After that, the track was solid!....especially when mixed in with everything else. I don't even know how I would do that in SF - although I assume it's possible.

You can also work wonders with simple gain/track volume envelopes among clips.

Between slips, splits, and envelopes, many takes can be salvaged, saved. or even flat-out created.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Editing is easier in Sonar if you use the Zoom-tool. Just hold down Z while selecting the area...

And if your audio needs a lot of editing, use an external editor, such as CoolEdit, Wavelab or Sound Forge. These programs are made for editing, Sonar is made for multitracking... ;)

sorry. I tried to edit my latest post here, and it got bogged down (web traffic , I guess) Anyway, I can't explain it ...I think it's this bad weather...or sleep deprivation.

I wish I was home.

all the suggestions above are good ones. Editing in Sonar is actually very easy, and I have even knocked off little tongue clicks and the like. Another feature not mentioned above that may be causing your problem is the "snap to grid" function. This can be set to go to individual ticks, or it can even be as big as whole measures, or clip boundaries. In the track view, the toolbar has a icon of a grid, right-click on it and you can set it to teh resolution you want. I would also highly advise reading the chapter in the SOnar manual for editing audio. Sonar is very powerful.

Alternative: Hit N to turn "snap to grid" on/off, and Shift+N to edit it's properties...

And the "Snap to Audio Zero Crossing" in the Snap-To-Grid settings is something you (in most cases) don't want to turn off. This ensures that you minimize the risk of getting a "click" caused by editing as waves starting at anything else than 0 is more likely to cause ugly clicking noises. :)

It might not have been clear to you, but the way to edit something out of the middle of a long clip is to split the clip just after the sound you want to remove, and slip edit from the end of that new clip that you've been creating. Or, you can split just before and just after, creating three clips, and delete the small central one that's made up of just the bit you want to excise.

Last edited:
Back