Editing (clipping)

mjklaas

I recently purchased Sonar 7/XL and a Tascam DP-02. I thought the Tascam manual was bad till I started on the Cakewalk one. Anyway, I exported my master mix from Tascam to my PC and imported the cut to Cakewalk. How can I simply cut off unwanted noise and dead air at the beginning and ending of the track? Maybe it's a terminology problem, but I'm going crazy.
Thanks!

Well I don't use Sonar, but I'm guessing you can just drag over a section of the audio file you want to cut out and hit delete.

1) Open track View
2) Highlight the track by clicking on the Track Number
3) Position your cursor in the time line (a ruler looking thing above the tracks) where you want to start the cut.
4) Hold down your left mouse key and drag the cursor to the right to where you want to stop cutting.
5) The area you want to cut in the track itself should become shaded.
6) Hit Edit/Delete and it will be delted. If you "delete hole" it will move your track back to where the cut started.

1) Right click on your track right in the area where the wave form sits.
2) select Envelopes/Create Envelope/Volume
3) It will insert a white line the entire length of your track
4) double click on the white line and a little white dot will appear
5) drag the dot down so it hits the bottom of the track (you'll see the DB meter change on the dot. You can also right click on the dot and adjust using the Properties.
6) You usually create a number of dots where you want to reduce/increase volume. You need to have a dot at the original volume where you don't want to change otherwise it drags the volume of everything. You sort of make a sine wave looking thing where you cut the volume.

Let me know if that helps.

Options- Zoom out and scissor tool it, or put the cursor there and use 'split command (I believe – don't use that one), does 'XL have slip editing? That one just drags the end, does trims, fade curves, moves either or both at the same time (depending on exactly where you hang over it the tool changes). I use clip (or fader) automation for fades and dip edits mostly for this kind of cleanup stuff (when you don't want/need to actually cut and toss). Then that same automation line also doubles for mix tuning moves within the tracks.
Likely you'll want to do some bit of short in-out fade when you split anyway.

Results

I tried both methods and they worked great! Thanks!!!!!
Mike

PS I included the tract. Me on bass, banjo and guitar. No midi..

Attachments

• Track01.cda (2).mp3
    966.5 KB · Views: 9
The Tune

The title of the tune is,"Will the Circle Be Unbroken." It represents my first attempt at any sort of recording. I can't figure out why I get so anxious sitting in a room in front of a mic, by myself? One thing I learned was how important timing is. When you're sitting on the front porch it doesn't matter much if you slow down for that tough lick. When recording it's everything.
Thanks again for your input. I hope, at some point, I'll be able to help a new musician too.

Back