edit notes in staff view

mutt

I made a piano track and set up staff view to do bass & treble to make a piano score (Cakewalk Pro 8.3). In the key of G, I played an E chord. The G#4 came out as Ab4. I right clicked on the note, but it would only let me change it to a G, and G# was not an option.

In checking the helps, it said something about changing this in edit/interpolate, but when I went there, all I saw was a bunch of little boxes and had no direction what to do. ANy help?? Also, can you add signs such as fermatas, etc. I couldn't find anything about that in helps.

I want to eventually print out the music for piano and voice.

mutt

a flat = g sharp

In the key of G, neither A flat, nor G sharp occur within the key signature. A flat is flat 2nd scale degree, and G sharp is sharp 1st scale degree. They are enharmonically equivalent (i.e. sound the same).

In the key of G, an unaltered 'E' chord will be an E Minor chord...

I believe the rule in notating is to take the normal triad notes and apply the flat or sharp accordingly. For example, an E triad in the key of G is E - G - B (which is a minor triad). So to notate it as a major triad you would raise the G to a G#.

Not sure about Cakewalk 8.x, mutt, but in SONAR you can type what you want and it will accept it. That is, while you couldn't select G# from the pulldown in your case, you could type "G#" into the associated text field, and that's what would notated on the staff.

Back