EDIROL VSC ok, DreamStation not ok

RonL

I am using Sonar 2.2 on a P4 2.2GHz system with 512MB RAMs. My sound card is an Audiophile 2496.

When I play back MIDI files using EDIROL VSC (through Synth Rack) there is no problems. But when I use DreamStation Dxi2 (also through Synth Rack) the sound slows down by half and pitch one octave lower.

Any suggestions please? Thanks.

The Dream Station is a Synth... you model the sound yourself... have you tried using a pre-set to see how it sounds... I'm sure there would be an octave shift.

Porter

How do I enter a 'preset'? I did not have to do this for EDIROL VSC that I believe is also a Soft Synth. Please help, thanks.

The VSC allows you to operate on all 16 channels of midi... it is basically a sound module like the Roland SC-55st.. just creates MIDI sounds. The Dreamstation is a synthesiser... it works with only one MIDI channel and produces a unique 'sound' depending on what you have set up on the dials in it, like the oscilators etc.

Presets are in the drop down box on the top left of the windows the Dreamstation opens in.

Porter

...or press the "Load" button in the upper right corner, and find the directory where Sonar installed DreamStation (if the presets aren't there, you can download them from their website). :)

Dreamstation is a single instrument, it will not play back drums+bass+piano+an orchestra string section+breaking glass sounds+a dog barking+ a UFO landing all at once like the VSC can.

Strryder said:
Dreamstation is a single instrument, it will not play back drums+bass+piano+an orchestra string section+breaking glass sounds+a dog barking+ a UFO landing all at once like the VSC can.

Aha! In that case I cannot use DreamStation to playback a complete MIDI piece of music like EDIROL VSC can. Is that correct?

Thanks.

RonL

RonL said:
Aha! In that case I cannot use DreamStation to playback a complete MIDI piece of music like EDIROL VSC can. Is that correct?

Thanks.

RonL

Actually, you could but you would need to run multiple instances of DreamStation (i.e. assign it as a an FX on more than one audio track).

brzilian said:
Actually, you could but you would need to run multiple instances of DreamStation (i.e. assign it as a an FX on more than one audio track).

You can assign it as an FX on more than one MIDI :D track, and have the output's of multiple tracks go to one track (just remember to watch for clipping!)

Porter

Thanks guys! I am begining to understand all these mumbo jumbo now. Need to get a tutorial on Sonar real fast if I am to go anywhere with it :)

Back