Edirol UA-25 and zero latency

davefromfade

Edirol UA-25, Alesis IO2, Tascam US-122 and zero latency

It's my understanding that when you are using a USB device that has direct monitoring capabilities such as the Edirol UA-25 or Alesis IO2, you can enable direct monitoring for zero latency because it bridges the input to the output AND sends the output to the DAW for recording. Does anyone know if this is really true? I have an old M-Audio Quattro and it DOES NOT work this way. When the direct monitor button is engaged on that device, it only bridges the input to output and does not send the audio to the DAW. I've been considering the Delta 44 to get around this (due to its 4-out capability), but it sounds like the Edirol and/or Alesis would accomplish what I need if this direct monitoring theory were true. PCI communicates with the bus faster than USB, but who cares if you can get zero latency on either of those units. The Tascam US-122 probably falls in to the same category, except its downfall is 24/48 as opposed to 24/96.

Last edited:
Sure it's true. And it's really the only way to go for recording acoustic instruments...

As far as the US-122 goes, I've never found a need to run it in anything besides 44.1kHz/24 bit mode and I can't imagine the extra hard drive space taken up by 96kHz audio files being any real advantage when they're going to have to be dithered down to 44.1kHz for distribution anyway. Maybe if you have a gaggle of buddies that are willing to listen to your music while standing around your computer...

Back