Edirol ua-1000 or Motu Traveler on a Dell Laptop

malabito

Hi I already posted once regarding some doubts about some audio interfaces. Finally I decided to go for the traveler, but after doing some more research on the internet I am beggining to have some seconds thoughts about it, mostly becouse of the compatibilitiy issues. I am planning on using the interface on a dell inspiron 9300 laptop but I havent had any clear answer form dell on which firewire chip I have, and in the motu web site it is said that if i have a nec chip problems will occur. I really wish i could get the motu, but i dont want to risk it if i dont find what time of firewire chip i have. As an oher option i thought that maybe the edirol ua-1000 will be a good choice althougth its has a usb 2.0 connection. It looks as it it will have less problems with my laptop.

The problem is that i havent found almost any review on the web about it, nor good or bad. And everyone i talk to about it, tells me to stay away from it just couse its usb, even if they havent read about it. But it states clearly that it can achive even faster transfer rates then that of the firewire.

So my dilema is should I go for the Motu and have the risk of not working on my laptop or get the edirol. I prefer the motu, it seems of better quality, but i feel safer if i get the edirol.

What should i do, and does any one of you have ever used the ua-1000 and what are your thoughts about it.

Thanks a lot, Alejandro Ilukewitsch

Keep The Funk.....

Haven't used that edirol device so I don't have any comments on that, however, with the MOTU, on their website it says that you need a firewire chipset that is Texas Instruments. If your Dell was like mine, then it will probably be a VIA chipset, and that could cause problems. A simple solution is to get a PCMCIA Firewire Card that has the Texas Instruments chipset, I don't remember all of the brands that do, but I do know that Miglia is one. If you got that, the MOTU should be fine, and the Traveler is going to be a considerably higher quality product than the Edirol.

cawhite12 said:
Haven't used that edirol device so I don't have any comments on that, however, with the MOTU, on their website it says that you need a firewire chipset that is Texas Instruments. If your Dell was like mine, then it will probably be a VIA chipset, and that could cause problems. A simple solution is to get a PCMCIA Firewire Card that has the Texas Instruments chipset, I don't remember all of the brands that do, but I do know that Miglia is one. If you got that, the MOTU should be fine, and the Traveler is going to be a considerably higher quality product than the Edirol.

Thanks for the reply. I been looking into the option of buyng a pcmcia firewire card to prevent any problems, but I am already over my budget. That could be an option if a get the traveler right now and then wait until december to get the card.

Problem with that would be there is a possibility of you not being able to use the traveler until you get that card. That would suck.

Back