Echoes cover song

SBax

Hi. New to this site and have a cover version of Pink Floyd's Echoes from the Meddle album. Any advice or comments are welcome. The files are big and the song is split into two parts. About 10 minutes for each part.

It was recorded on a VS-880 and mixed on Cakewalk.

Thanks.

ftp://storabyte.com/usr/sbax

Heya, Sbax...

The drums seemed hurried on occasion (the snare, especially), but they sound good to me, I think the panning is especially good.

On the arpeggiated guitar @ 5:10, maybe a little reverb...

A different encoder, definitely. This one has torn your song to shreads (especially the high end and transients).

Speaking of transients, the beginning of this song has some really harsh ones...

7:05 or so, good pan on guitar, i like the organ...

The guitar that jumps in after that might need more reverb. (i'm a reverb addict, btw). One of the things I've always felt "signature" to Pink Floyd was the mixed ambiance from each instrument. On arrangements as such, giving that guitar...

See, nevermind, 'cuz you gradually roll the reverb in... (ooops)

btw, is this just you? good stuff...

Great guitar tone, throughout. Always changing... What are you using? sounds GREAT!

okay, part 2

Trippy shit goin' on... good "stage" you have set up...

@ 2:20, maybe throw the organ coming in a little to the right... towards the middle...

3:25... oh yeah, here we go... great fade in, just right on the levels...

4:00... drums good... maybe put them back a couple of ms, they sound a little hurried at points, in regard to delayed whatever (guitar?) pulsing behind them, or vice-versa...

5:29, yeah, love that sound you get from those two guitars...

6:10 or so... sounds like you're taking a loud singing source and attenuating it by fader... try a soft singing voice and boost it instead, there's something about the "trying too hard" factor of the voice... wouldn't notice it if weren't trying to nitpick...

6:40 acoustic left channel, maybe a little too much level there...

8:25 great balance between the piano and guitar.

OH NO! Man, this song is very well done, but you gotta let the fade-out last longer (or start it sooner). Too much of a sudden drop-out at the end...

I enjoyed hearing the song, SBax. I don't listen to enough Floyd, glad you put it up for grabs...

On emore thing... 4:43, first "part"... is that major or minor? Listen to it real quick, that's the only real thing that needs "adjustment," other than a couple of drum parts in sparse places...

(sorry, happened to be listeneing again... :D)

Hi Kelly:

Thank a lot for taking the time to listen and the advice.

"The drums seemed hurried on occasion (the snare, especially)..."

I drove the drummer to a point of high frustration by asking her to do it over too many times. The drum sticks were thrown at me a few times (she always missed though). I didn't have the nerve to ask her to do it one more time. Maybe I can fix it in Cakewalk.

"A different encoder, definitely. This one has torn your song to shreads (especially the high end and transients)."

I used cdex. I'll work on the intro final mix eq and try a different encoder.

"btw, is this just you? good stuff..."

I played all guitars and vocals, all keyboards done by a friend at work and my ex did the drums as a big favor for me.

"Great guitar tone, throughout. Always changing... What are you using? sounds GREAT!"

I used everything listed and used every trick I knew. Only a few small parts were DI'ed. The rest were miked.
Guitars: Fender American Strat
PRS CE 24
Danelectro DC-3
Martin DC-1E Acoustic
Washburn Bass

Amps: 1969 Fender Bandmaster Reverb (modded) w/ 4x10 cab
1965 Sivertone Twin Twelve
1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Pedal Effects: Blackstone Mosfet Overdrive 2S
Fulltone ChoralFlange
Stamps Drive-O-Matic Overdrive
DOD FX52 Classic Fuzz
Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus
MXR DynaComp modded to Ross specs
Ibanez Tube King Overdrive/Distortion
Boss DD-3 digital delay
Digitech XP 300
Zoom 9030

"okay, part 2"

"...delayed whatever (guitar?) pulsing behind them, or vice-versa..."

That's a bass guitar staccato picked with sharp, heavy tremelo (actually two trems, one from the Fender amp and one from the Zoom box) and fast, deep chorus/leslie all set to the same timing.

"6:10 or so... sounds like you're taking a loud singing source and attenuating it by fader..."

Yep, that's exactly what happened.

"OH NO! Man, this song is very well done, but you gotta let the fade-out last longer (or start it sooner). Too much of a sudden drop-out at the end..."

Thanks, I'll redo that.

"4:43, major or minor?"

It's supposed to be a C# major but either the keyboardist messed up or I did. I couldn't tell so I mixed out as much guitar as I could on that chord but the clash is still there.

Thanks again, I was worried about the bass and drums because it was mixed on a home stereo (Yamaha amp with bypassed tone controls and Polk speakers).

Since you already got a pretty in depth critique.

I will just say that it is absolutely great to hear someone take the time the recreate such a classic song. So cool....

Back