Echo Mia MIDI, S/PDIF inputs & Hiss

jfrog

uber-nerd
I just installed an Echo Mia MIDI card. The output & MIDI work, but when I try to record off of the S/PDIF inputs, all I get is hiss! I started by using Reaper and switched to Audigy with the same results.

The cable I'm using is a video cable, which I've used for s/pdif before (I think it's 75 ohms)

Perhaps it's something I didn't get set up correctly, but I don't know.
Any thoughts?

jfrog said:
I just installed an Echo Mia MIDI card. The output & MIDI work, but when I try to record off of the S/PDIF inputs, all I get is hiss! I started by using Reaper and switched to Audigy with the same results.

The cable I'm using is a video cable, which I've used for s/pdif before (I think it's 75 ohms)

Perhaps it's something I didn't get set up correctly, but I don't know.
Any thoughts?

Is your interface set to get sync from S/PDIF? If not, I could see an interface designer making the hardware cowardly refuse to fill the buffers with data from an unsynchronized source to avoid blowing up people's speakers. In that case, it would return whatever random noise data state was in the buffer RAM when the interface powered up.

thanks for the input. the weird thing is that the software "console" has an option to get the sync from either "internal" or "s/pdif"....but it won't let me select the "s/pdif" option. Probably another setting has to be changed to enable that, but I haven't found it yet.

Back