echo layla 3g vrs. echo audiofire 8

Tyson

Is their a difference in sound quality between firewire and pci interfaces. Besides mobility, what is an advantage to firewire. I read that pci's can handle more data (higher bus speed). If you had a choice between an Echo Layla 3g or an echo audiofire 8 (firewire version), for a desktop computer, which would you choose and why?

if you are not computer savy (like me) you would probably have to pay somebody to put the layla pci card in for you, whereas the firewire unit plugs right in. pci also handles a bit more data than firewire as well. Thats probably not a huge issue though.

audiofire ;)

audiofire is better.. better than layla3g..
firewire is solid and STILL to much bandwith for audio recording..
audiofire from echo has a new feature..and im gonna buy that one when the stuff already come to my country.. yes I WILL !!!
goodluck man:)

From what I understand and have read, the Echofire units have the same converters and preamps as the the Layla 3G, but lose the facility for ADAT i/o. On the other hand the Audiofire units can be daisychained, and most decent ADAT units would cost the same price as a new Audiofire, plus it's easier to interface and connect. I still like the idea of the Layla3G (i have the Layla24) and prefer the benefit of ADAT. I can't believe they left it off, considering the bandwidth of a typical firefire connections.

Can't have everything I suppose...

Back