eBay question about a 4-track

benthic

Hi,

I have a Fostex X-18 Multitracker Cassette Recorder that I just put up for sale on eBay. I bought it sometime around 1991, and I recorded a lot with it until about 1999. It's been sitting in a box in my closet ever since then.

Last night, I plugged it in, and it turns on just fine. It fast-forwards and rewinds just fine. But I don't have a microphone or even a single cassette tape anymore just to recheck that it records o.k.

So I listed the Item Condition on eBay as "For Part or Not Working" just to be safe.

So my questions is:

Would you list the condition the way I did, or would you list it as Used based on the fact that it powers up now and it did function fine 15 years ago?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to eBay. Thanks!

-Benthicriver

Why not invest 3 dollars on a cassette to fully test it out? If it turns out that everything is still working, you can probably get a higher asking price for it. And you wouldn't need a Mic to do that either. Just plug in a CD player or any other line level device to see it will record and play back.

Otherwise, sure just list it as untested and be prepared to get less money for it.

Cheers! :)

Yeah, get a cassette and test it out. Type 1 cassettes are still available, although they're not what the machine was designed for they will work fine for testing. Getting the tape to play or excessive wow and flutter might be a problem with a deck that sat for so long as the belts tend to go bad...you might get lucky and everything will work perfectly and you won't have to sell it as a "non working deck" which gives buyers an excuse to pay pocket change.

Thanks for the tips! I got hold of a cassette tape and lined in from a radio. And it recorded 4 separate tracks just fine, so the little bugger still works! Then I started to realize that even with the ease of recording with programs like Garageband these days, there's something to be said for a little low-tech 4 track and a microphone. You could use it as a quick sketchpad for rough drafts of songs, and you wouldn't have the temptation of instant internet access to distract you.

I tried changing the condition from 'For Parts or Not Working' to 'Used' but it doesn't seem like you're allowed to do that. I tried searching whether you can change an item condition during a listing, but I can't seem to find the answer. Does anyone here know offhand?

-Benthicriver

There's a bid already. So am I locked into the 'For Parts or Not Working' item condition?

(When I try searching for 'changing an item condition description' or 'revising an item condition description', I get endless search results about eBay changing its item description policies a while back)

Back