Easy questions about my new amp

Artist Unknown

Hi. I bought a used Marshall JCM 2000 Duel Super Lead 100w and a 1960a cab the other day and I'm just getting ready to go to the store and buy a new fuse for it. Apparently, you have to hook this thing up a certain way or it fcks up. I downloaded a manual off the net, but it's kind of confusing. I figured you guys would know what to hook to what. Also, what's the deal with the standby? My other amp had no such thing. The manual says it's extra voltage to warm up the tubes or something like that and that I should turn the main power on for two minutes before turning on the standby.....and I leave them both on while I'm playing? Thanks for any help.

Let the amp hear up in stand-by for a good 5 minutes before switching it over. Some people will say that is overkill and others will say its to little of a time but I have always done it this way with no problems. Make sure you matching your ohms. You want to go from 16 ohms on the head to the 16 ohm insert of the cab.

I'm not sure by what you mean it has to be "hooked up in a certain way." It's a tube amp, so you need to make sure it's connected to a speaker cabinet. The speaker cabinet should be connected to the Speaker Out jack(s) on your amp (as opposed to the Line Out jack).

Other than that, there's not much to it. You want the Standby to be "ON" when you are not playing. You turn the Standby "OFF" when you want to play.

When you power-up a tube amp, it's a good idea to let the tubes warm up for a few minutes. Some people will say 5 minutes is plenty, some people will say let it warm up for an hour :eek:. I side with the 5 minute people.

If you don't let the tubes warm-up, your tone will basically change constantly for the few first minutes as the tubes get warm.

After playing, you should let a tube amp cool down before you move it (otherwise, you risk damaging the tubes). You should also let a tube amp warm up to room temperature before you turn it on if it has been in a cold environment (again, you risk damaging the tubes). For example, if it's the middle of winter and you are hauling your stuff to a gig. When you get your amp into the venue, let it sit there for a while before you turn it on.

I would also highly recommend carrying a complete set of back-up tubes if you are playing gigs.

Scottgman said:
I'm not sure by what you mean it has to be "hooked up in a certain way." It's a tube amp, so you need to make sure it's connected to a speaker cabinet. The speaker cabinet should be connected to the Speaker Out jack(s) on your amp (as opposed to the Line Out jack).

Not so fast....Don't forget to match Ohm independence between the Head and Cab.

I don't own a Marshall, but...

on all my tube amps, "Standby On" means sound comes out of the speaker, and "Standby Off" means that no sound comes out.

I can tell you for a fact on that model (JCM 2000 DSL 100) the top side of the standby switch has to be pushed in.

lpdeluxe said:
on all my tube amps, "Standby On" means sound comes out of the speaker, and "Standby Off" means that no sound comes out.

Well... there's only one position for the Stanby switch that allows sound to come out of the amp. If he can't figure that out, he should probably sell the amp. :D

The standby swtich on my amp says "Rest" and "Go"-- not too difficult to figure out!

Back