Easy pop song

Garry Sharp

Lost Cause
I got so much help here last time I thought I'd push my luck and try again :)

This is a song called All That You Think - it's the second one on our nowhereradio page here:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2045/singles

I'm wondering what you think of the song itself - Robbie our lead vox is not too keen, our backing singer loves it and it always goes down well live. It's got a real singalong chorus (well, I like to think it has.)

Still having problems with harsh lead vox, despite taking advice from some posts in the mic forum about positioning the NTK. All comments gratefully received as ever.

Cheers

Garry

hiya really like your band....nice songs,i think you know where your weak points lay.Btw sounds abit like the cardigans.Keep it up!

Yeah the Gtr Player bites....

Hope that aint you???

Bring back the 70's. :)

Reminds me of anything you want you got it. :)

Wow the drumming at the end is odd. I guess u were going for an off time, but it was too off :)

Otherwise vocals sound like a rode mike. They all are bright. From the tube deal to the cheap ones. They all seem to have a boost from 10k on up :)

Well, 1 out of 3 ain't bad....:) (thanks dRiBb - well, thanks to all 3 for listening and posting)

Wasn't me on guitar, except very faintly on the left during the chorus, but I'm a bass player. But he's actually very good - I think it's more likely to be my fault. We don't see enough of him and the recording was done in a bit of a rush.

Just edited it a bit, made the intro pure acapella and took some more EQ off the vox above 10K.

Anyway, can't win 'em all, I'll just keep on keeping on...

I think there's nothing wrong with the song,its very catchy(sorry for my crapy english).You did ask about the song so...and everyone can hear the guitar sucks....when you recorded the song it was a moment in time, and you choose not to rerecord the guitar and stuff well i can respect that,i know for sure if you spend some time in these songs it will sound great! :cool:

Yep that is the idead. keep on keeping on and grow :)

Song wasnt bad.

Of course I am an engineer so that is what I hear 1st is the engineering. then the production :)

Keep it up. :)

Sounds like you took it kinda hard Garry.
I liked the song bro. and the recording aint half bad.
Just track it again with more care.
When you hear something being played sloppily--say so.
When i record my bands i dont stand for that stuff man.
Besides theyre my friends so they can take a little extra shove here and there.

Didn't take it hard at all - came over wrong if you thought I did - just took it straight, that's what makes this place work. This stuff is incredibly helpful, 'cos it's fresh ears and you don't know me, plus people like you and Giles do this for a living. More lessons learnt, more progress made - luckily I don't have to make a living doing this :)

Hey. LOL

it's fun making aliving doing this. :)

Lol. Cool gar, jsut making sure we aint killing folks.

Hi Gary. Yeah, to me...the guitar is the biggest problem in the mix. The double-stop type stuff just sounds off (timing), and the tone sounds like something from right around the time that Jan & Dean discovered the 'electric' sound, lol. :D

Cool song, though. The vocal sounds kinda' thin to me...like it was highpassed a bit too aggressively, but that's a guess. I don't know anything about mics, but yeah, there's definitely a hype in the hiss region...I mean, it's not hissy, lol...you know what I mean. The top end might sound perfect if it just had a little more body in the low mids of the vocal. Again, it's a guess.

Cheers Bryan :) (sorry I called you Giles!)

Chris - thanks for listening and good feedback. There was no highpass, except for a 100Hz lo-cut on the pre, but 3 or 4 dB cuts at 4k and high shelve above 10k. Either the NTK is the wrong mic for her or I need to look at the room again.

Guitar was DI'd in a hurry, won't make that mistake again :)

Garry

Hi Garry-

I can hear your vocal edits (especially at the beginning), I'm really suprised the "engineers" here didn't comment on that.:) They need cleaned up.

I won't comment on the guitar, but you do need to re-do all of it.

You have the bass eq'd wierd for your playing style. You do alot of work (good playing) then you cover it up in the mix. Try messing with the eq and bring it out without making it louder.

Yeah the end is wierd, but again, if a guitar was in there holding everything together it might work...hard to tell.

I bet this would be a really good song if you re tracked a little and fixed a couple little things. It's definately something to keep.:)

H2H

Thanks h2h. Can you hear anything at all after that session ? :)

Anyway, agree about everything, except perhaps the bass, which I think is just a fraction low in the mix. But then again, until we can afford to get the extension built and I have a room I can dedicate and treat, I'm always going to be doing guesswork on the bass. Retracking the guitar next week.

This forum is really on a roll these last few weeks.

[edited 'coz I crossed with Bryan's post. Is that you in the pic Bryan - you look like you're about 6' 6" tall...I've done music in Detroit, used to help manage an orchestra and we visited your city on tour in '89. My then wife wanted to vist the Renaissance Centre but couldn't get there because the cab driver couldn't understand her English accent!!)

Last edited:
Back