Earthworks m30 for recording acoustic?

IanW-UK

I know these are primarily meant for measurements and stuff but surely if its a dead flat, accurate mic then its a dead flat, accurate mic and should be really good for stuff like acoustic guitar? I'm not too knowledgeable about such stuff so if anyone has any reasons why this is a bad idea please enlighten me :D

Cheers,

Ian.........

Just my opinion but a perfectly flat mic like a measurement mic would be kind of boring. However, I do like Earthworks mics. I use a pair of SR-71's for overheads and acoutic stuff (they're cardiod, not omni though) and I love 'em.

I've used the Behringer ECM8000 (a similar but much cheaper measurement mic) on nylon string acoustic with pleasing results (to my ear), but I'm no expert.

I regularly use a pair of QTC-1s on acoustic guitars with stunning results. They should be pretty close in sound to the measurement mic (ruler-flat fast response omnis with extended frequency range).

Scott

P.S. The instrument and (more importantly) the room have to sound really good when using omnis, or the GI/GO rule applies.

i am a fan of earthworks mics.

the trick with them is that you need a great sound source to begin with, and they dont screw with it.

but they are totally usable if you have a mediocre one, cause they respond pretty well to manipulation.

my only complaint is that they are very bad at SMOOTHING. never get them anywhere near something rough, unless you want it ruff...

Back