Earthworks KickPad?

ggunn

Crystal Flavolian
I read about this in another thread - has anybody in here got one of these gizmos (Earthworks KickPad)? How well does it work?

i've wondered about this too....sounds pretty iffy to me. i can see how they might be able to make this thing that does automatic eq and compression specifically for kick...but then it'd still only work with some mics and not other. i cant see how it could get a bunch of different mics to give you the same kick sound. i dunno.. i definetly would never get one.

personally i think it sounds bad either way on the clip... doesn't sound at all like a kick drum, it sounds like a bouncing basketball. (which is often a general term used to describe a kick drum) but this seems to take it to a new level!!! haha I understand it is because these mics are not usually intended for kick drum. I did speak of the KickPad in another thread, but it was merely an idea to look into. I wouldn't use it, unless maybe i got it free. i prolly wouldn't pay $100 for it, but that is mainly because i own an Audix D6 and various sub kick mics i have made... and i really don't need it. hmmm... something to think about in any case i would say.

Jacob

Jacobi1211 said:
personally i think it sounds bad either way on the clip... doesn't sound at all like a kick drum, it sounds like a bouncing basketball. (which is often a general term used to describe a kick drum) but this seems to take it to a new level!!! haha I understand it is because these mics are not usually intended for kick drum. I did speak of the KickPad in another thread, but it was merely an idea to look into. I wouldn't use it, unless maybe i got it free. i prolly wouldn't pay $100 for it, but that is mainly because i own an Audix D6 and various sub kick mics i have made... and i really don't need it. hmmm... something to think about in any case i would say.

Jacob

Well, there is no way I would trust a sound clip on computer to tell me how something really sounds; there are too many variables outside my control. What I would really like to get is the opinion of someone who has actually worked with one of these things.

Back