Earthbag building.

Cralls

I've been doing extensive research on earthbag building.. for those of you who don't know what that is (most of you..?) it's the same idea of using sandbags to stop floods. Polypropolene bags filled with soil and stacked into desired structures. But then you cover it with adobe or stucco or something to protect it. Who cares in the way of recording? Well besides being soundproof or nearly soundproof (12" of compact dirt coated with concrete) they cost around $10/sq. ft. (a far cry from wooden structures ESPECIALLY if you want to make them soundproof which I've heard you should plan for tripling the price..), and are INCREDIBLY easy to build alone!

http://earthbagbuilding.wordpress.com/

I just want to know who else has thought of using this method and what you think about it. You can very easily add on slowly as you get more money, can build a small studio in your backyard (even if just a small room), and it's so affordable!

The only issue I can really think of is the fact that they are SO energy efficient. With equipment and people, it'll get quite steamy I'm sure. Maybe a lot of vents would be needed?

Last edited:
I seem to recall watching a show years ago where they used stacked tires, filled them with earth and stucco'd those. I beleive that was out in the deseret in the southwest or something. Cool concept, but some practical issues, imo especially if you're in a wet climate.

No. No practical issues. In fact, they are building a cooler in Thailand in about a month. It will be cool and dry (a giant fridge) using no energy whatsoever. And think about how hot and humid Thailand is.. We have earth rammed buildings that have been with us hundreds and some even thousands of years ;)

I would be curious about building codes. Do they even apply? Would a sandbag studio require a construction permit, be classified as a structure or increase the taxable value of the property?

Interesting concept.

lou

Well it depends. If it's small enough and isn't connected to a living space then no. Every country, state, and city are different. MOST places are fine with it. In the states you can build with alternate materials. Since it is still quite unknown though, you might have to convince them that it's legit. More rural areas are easier. It's not as much strict laws, but skeptical people who manage the laws.

No. No practical issues.

Yes, there are practical issues: Soundproof means airtight. People like to breathe and equipment doesn't like 100% humidity. Don't know if you could get a permit to build, but I imagine you'd have to make several concessions in order to meet state and local code requirements.

Yes, there are practical issues: Soundproof means airtight. People like to breathe and equipment doesn't like 100% humidity. Don't know if you could get a permit to build, but I imagine you'd have to make several concessions in order to meet state and local code requirements.

Oh sorry, I meant in terms of building construction. :/ That's why I started this. The structures (depending on what you build them with) have potential to breathe quite well. Especially hempcrete but that can be quite difficult to come across. And that's kind of what I was getting at. Heat/moisture etc. I wonder what kind of modifications would need to happen.

Lots of people in the states have already built using these structures. I'm not sure about Europe.

I thought so. And lots of potential anyway. If anyone has questions or suggestions or perhaps even some experience just let us know. :)

Back