Ears please

The song is really good - the parts are there - the mix is stark - IMO the parts aren't mixed together - and it gets distorted during the lead parts - very dense mix and is
Crushing the meters - very DavidBowie sound to the vocals.

Sounds well done to me. Really like the dreamy part mid way right before the Chris Squire wah bass - nice. I know it's there before but that spotlight really came at the perfect spot.
Yeah that wah part is actually an old casio keyboard through a pedal. Cheers Manslick

The song is really good - the parts are there - the mix is stark - IMO the parts aren't mixed together - and it gets distorted during the lead parts - very dense mix and is
Crushing the meters - very DavidBowie sound to the vocals.
Thanks Papa appreciate the comments.
Yeah something happened during the mp3 conversion, it's not supposed to be that hot, the final wav peaks at -3.
When you say the parts aren't mixed together are you talking about guitar, bass etc. or different parts of the track - verse, chorus etc?

I missed this - it's not my favourite genre, or to be honest even one I claim any skills in - BUT - my test number one is if I immediately switch off. Test 2 is if I'm tempted to skip through it and this often happens. This sailed through and I listened to the whole thing, loudly too!
Totally get the Bowie comment, and it didn't sound 'wrong' as in something that was poorly done, and broke the rules of the genre. My test is if it appeared in the middle of a spotify playlist, would you say 'hang on?' I would not have noticed this one.

Clearly, all the components have been looked at - the group backing vocals that pop up, blend in really well, and it sounds 'produced'.

Levels wise, it was loud, but I didn't detect accidental distortion - there were quiet bits too so not hammered in the dynamics and squashed to death. It sounded good. Good test is that I've just realised I was humming it - that's good for the song, and not hearing weirdness is good for the recording. I have no idea if this genre has a name - but it was fine!

I missed this - it's not my favourite genre, or to be honest even one I claim any skills in - BUT - my test number one is if I immediately switch off. Test 2 is if I'm tempted to skip through it and this often happens. This sailed through and I listened to the whole thing, loudly too!
Totally get the Bowie comment, and it didn't sound 'wrong' as in something that was poorly done, and broke the rules of the genre. My test is if it appeared in the middle of a spotify playlist, would you say 'hang on?' I would not have noticed this one.

Clearly, all the components have been looked at - the group backing vocals that pop up, blend in really well, and it sounds 'produced'.

Levels wise, it was loud, but I didn't detect accidental distortion - there were quiet bits too so not hammered in the dynamics and squashed to death. It sounded good. Good test is that I've just realised I was humming it - that's good for the song, and not hearing weirdness is good for the recording. I have no idea if this genre has a name - but it was fine!
Heh good to see it passed all the tests. If you were actually humming it, well that's it job done, locked and loaded :D
Great feedback thanks rob

When you say the parts aren't mixed together are you talking about guitar, bass etc. or different parts of the track - verse, chorus etc?
I'm saying that the parts are recorded well - but they don't blend together - they have their own space but IMO don't glue together.

Back