Ears are fried.

boomtap

This is what I am working with:

Cement basement, low ceilings.

Vegas 3.0 on a 900mhz machine, standard pluggins with the 3.0. 2 Delta 44 cards.

Drums were are Pacific kit with Evans Hydrolics, and Titanium cymbols, a 58 on the snare and a 58 on the kick as well as a pair of Oktava 012's for overheads.

Then I used a XTlive, and a Variax 300 for the guitars both clean and dirty, and a Fender acoustic line in for the acoustic parts.

The bass was line in with a Ibanez EX from the 90's.

My ears are burned, is there some things I could think of doing before I hit vocals? When I record the vocals do you have any tips on getting a big sound out of them? I am really bad at recording vocals any tips would be appriciated.

Thanks for checking it out.

boomtap said:
Cement basement, low ceilings.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrr thats all i have to say to that.

I dig the song although I'm definatly waiting for vocals on this one. That acoustic guitar sounds really nice and the disonent distorted guitar sounds really good too. The snare needs a little work, mainly just some reverb. I'd say the bass drum needs work too but its not a big deal. everything is pretty tight and sounds pretty good.

Vocals may sound a little off in that room cause its large and cement so its completely live and generally you want a dead area so you can have strait clean vocals to work with. I don't know what your voice is like but experiment between using a 58 and one of your overheads.

Thats all I can really say, nice job!

Ben

Thanks for listening to it...

I have this snare that came with the pacific kit, and I cannot get it nailed down. Think compressing the heck out of it would help? Maybe tunning it tighter? I have been messing with it so much that I can't even hear what the snare is doing exactly.

Also I can't seem to get the pillow sound out of the kick when using a 58 to mic it, anybody have any suggestions. I usually don't compress the kick, but in this case it is loaded. Maybe some eqing would help.

Thanks for the advice I never thought of using the 012 for a vocal mic. I will give that a try.

Hey nice playing, boomtap. Everything's very tight rhythmically. I like the rhythm gtr playing and the doubling of it. I'd use one of the Oktava's on the ac gtr in addition to going direct to add naturalness to its sound.

What kind of room treatment do you have up in the basement?

Tim

I like that acoustic sound, but, as Timothy mentioned, I would like to hear some natural acoustic (as opposed to direct in) sounds, as well. As for the drums, I would say just try hitting everything harder, man!! That may not be the style you are going for, and I understand that, but I have found when I hit the drums harder, they tend to sound better. Maybe not so much for cymbals, but I think thats something you should try. Maybe add a touch of reverb to the snare, as well. And, while we're at it, you might as well try some compression. I can't wait to hear the vox!

I am working on another tune this weekend, and I will try smacking that snare around a bit more see if that fixes it a bit. Good tip, thanks. I can't do vocals, or acoustic guitar until I can send the kids away for the day. They are noisy little boogers.

As for the treatment of the room. It is full of little kids toys on on half with my set on a piece of carpet ontop of some kids mats (the kind that you link together) over the whole floor in the other half. Then I went on ebay and picked up 3 pieces of egg crate foam from some dude in Ill. I put 2 pieces of the foam in one of the corners of the room, and put the drums in that corner facing out into the room (room is about 700sqft 8ft cielings unfinished). Then I hung another sheet about 5 ft in front of drums, in the middle of the room to elimante that beautiful stairwell sound.

It is my hope that this Winter I am able to get the basement finished into a studio. I would like to have taller ceilings, but that isn't happening on my budget.

I will post some pictures later today. It is a hoot. You have toy cars and junk on one side, and gear and junk on the other. lol. Oh well, whatever works. I am getting some drum mics from a friend this weekend too, so I will actually have a kick mic, and some tom mics, as well as some 57's for the snare and hat!

Back