Early mix of a crunchin hardrock tune

Mistral

RyosaMusic
Hello everyone,

I recorded and did an early mix of this tune over the last 24 hrs.. It's heavy, but it's got some melodies, and nice grooves too. Last thing I really need to do is write some lyrics for it, so no vocals in it yet.

I need a fresh set of ears to let me know if it is lacking something, or if something sounds bad.. I think it's close to where it needs to be, but who knows. Still have yet to listen to it cranked over the speakers..

Recorded / mixed in Samplitude 8. Frigging LOVE the program.. never going back to anything else! Quick master with Ozone 3.

Sounds good except I can't really hear the bass drum.
Some of the cymbals may need some tweaking - a bit up front for me.

Thanks. That's weird, the kick is pretty clear here (like very clear)

But I agree about the cymbals, one of the things I was planning to tweak.. so nice to have some affirmation there.

I can't really crank it up at this time of morning for me...1am...but it really sounds good. I wonder how it would sound with the right panned guitar notched up on volume just a bit?

EDIT....reason for deleting of original post...unstable bwain. :eek:

D'oh!!!! It is the bass kick you are talking about!!! :D

I can't hear that either.!! I obviously can't see tonite either!! :D

But, while I am at it...the bass guitar does sound great!!

when you say you can't hear the kick, I mean is it absolutely not there? I am having trouble understanding..

thanks I am happy with the bass guitar, it is steinberg virtual bassist, and it took me a while to figure it out. I got this virtual midi keyboard software that lets you use your pc keyboard as a midi input device and record it to your DAW.. so I recorded the bass that way, and actually most of the drums and also the keys.

Even listening on headphones, the kick bass is literally not there on my end, until around 1:47. After that I can hear it, just not defined enough....except during the triple kicks...or is it referred to as a blastbeat?

By the way, this is a kickin' song and I have not heard a virtual bass sound that good. I couldn't tell and now that I know, it stills sounds great! :cool:

K, I will look into it. the tracks are pretty raw and not compressed or anything so that may be the prob..

A blast beat is a rapid succession of alternating snares and kicks, so that's something different. I use double bass during one part, and some little triplets here and there.

When I get vocals finished as well as some atmospheric synths I will remix it and post it.. hopefully then the drums will all be where they need to be. I will also keep your suggestion about the guitar in mind. Thanks!

Mistral said:
K, I will look into it. the tracks are pretty raw and not compressed or anything so that may be the prob..

A blast beat is a rapid succession of alternating snares and kicks, so that's something different. I use double bass during one part, and some little triplets here and there.

When I get vocals finished as well as some atmospheric synths I will remix it and post it.. hopefully then the drums will all be where they need to be. I will also keep your suggestion about the guitar in mind. Thanks!
You are welkom!! Thanks for defining the blast beat for me. It is the triplets I am referring to then. :)

I have some lyrics written now.. now if I can get my laptop to use ASIO properly maybe I can go get vocals tracked.. you see the basement of this apartment is the only place suitably isolated.. :P

Kick ass song song. Sort of reminds me of In Flames. I like that effect you got goin on when the vocals first come in(what effect is that?). Kick sounds great now. Everything sounds good to me except I think the bass could go down a little bit and I think the vocals might sound a little better with a small bit of overdrive or distortion. Great job overall.

It is a mix of 2 or 3 different fx layered on a high and low vocal harmony. I forget the exact names right now, but the effects are all found in Guitar Rig 2, either under FX or synth/vocal presets.

Blastbeats

true-eurt said:
You are welkom!! Thanks for defining the blast beat for me. It is the triplets I am referring to then. :)
Sorry to disagree but in death metal blastbeats refers to the sucesion of hits to the snare. Popularized by grindcore bands, is a must in any metal band.

Some crazy drumemrs can hit the snare at 300bpm without using the bass kick. These are called hyperblasts. And go can go further: graityblast. Some think is like cheating but it works great on brutal death metal. Is a on-hand roll at high speed.

Hope this information will be usefull.

Mistral said:
Suffice it to say the definition varies and there are different ways in which they can be played.
If I may ask, what processing do you have on the kick? I'm looking for that kind of sound but just can't seem to get it.

Heheh.. well.. there is next to no processing.

The drums are DFH ezdrummer, which has its own internal drum mixer. It also allows you to choose from several different types of kick sounds, whether the beater is felt or plastic.. I think I chose a 22" w/plastic beater, and turned the kick up a healthy amount.. there is a lot of sound added from the overheads, and the room mic is up about halfway. On top of this I added a small/medium room verb to the whole kit to make it sound a bit fatter, as well as some added bottom at 100hz and snap around 4khz. That's it.

Damn good!!.. for some reason the part at 1-1.30 remainded me of KorN..?
The second coming at 1.40 got me nodding my head. :D

Cool tune, kind of an industrial metal KMFDM type vibe to it.
I didn't hear anything that jumped out at me, and distracted me from enoying the music. I dug it.

Back