Ear training program for audio engineers?

RaGe

Hi I am looking for a program that basically is ear training for AEs, generating frequencies out of pink noise (i guess), reducing their respective volumes ...etc.
I saw it @ SAE Miami but I forgot the name ...

Actually yes, I am looking to improve frequency recognition, differences in levels ("hey, i'd turn down that 350Hz by 2 db" kind of thing) etc ... Like Golden Ears but as a PC software.

Doing live sound with loud PAs in small rooms will help you identify frequencies. When there's feedback, I know exactly which frequency I need to pull down.

Ok, a cool way to EQ follows thus:

When you are doing a mix (I'm assuming you are asking from this point of view), you might want to scoop out some mids from a guitar to make room for a vocal. Pick a frequency that you think might be on the money, say 2.5k, and cut that out. If it sounds good, fantastic. If it sounds wrong, bypass or switch out the EQ, adjust it to a frequency that seems like a better bet, and then put the EQ back in. Keep doing this until you get it on the money.

This might seem difficult to begin with, but pretty soon it teaches you what certain freqs actually sound like, and you'll then be able to listen to something and go "ok, that vocal needs a bit of 8k" and be spot on most of the time.

Generally this works better than sweeping. BTW this is not my idea, I learnt it off another guy (who I shall remain forever indebted to).

OK guys i appreciate the input but i did not ask for mixing techniques LOL!
Just need the name of that program or of any program that works the same, that's it.

Dave Moulton has a book and cd series called Audio Lecture Series. $44.95 per book. Im not aware of any strictly PC based series. There is also a Series by Bill Gibson which covers the same stuff at a more basic level for home recordists.

SoMm

Son of Mixerman said:
Dave Moulton has a book and cd series called Audio Lecture Series. $44.95 per book. Im not aware of any strictly PC based series. There is also a Series by Bill Gibson which covers the same stuff at a more basic level for home recordists.

SoMm

There is a website that helps with learning Freqs etc.

I will post it once I remember the link.

Malcolm

Ok, a cool way to EQ follows thus:

When you are doing a mix (I'm assuming you are asking from this point of view), you might want to scoop out some mids from a guitar to make room for a vocal. Pick a frequency that you think might be on the money, say 2.5k, and cut that out. If it sounds good, fantastic. If it sounds wrong, bypass or switch out the EQ, adjust it to a frequency that seems like a better bet, and then put the EQ back in. Keep doing this until you get it on the money.

This might seem difficult to begin with, but pretty soon it teaches you what certain freqs actually sound like, and you'll then be able to listen to something and go "ok, that vocal needs a bit of 8k" and be spot on most of the time.

Generally this works better than sweeping. BTW this is not my idea, I learnt it off another guy (who I shall remain forever indebted to).

I might be understanding this wrong, but it sounds EXACTLY like sweeping to me. could you explain how this differs?

Maybe you were looking at F. Alton Everest's "Critical Listening Skills for Audio Professionals" -- Although just about anything the man has ever written should be required reading, that one sounds like (no pun intended) just what you're looking for.

(EDIT)

OH - Stabbed --- 8-year-old thread...? Daaaaayyyyuuummmm...

Well, since this is where people will end up when looking for ear training stuff:

Harman How to Listen

This program is great! I got up to 7 peaks before I started making mistakes but strangely, only made it to 4 dips before I started screwing up. Seems like I'm much better at telling where frequencies are added than I am at telling where they've been taking away.

Thanks for this link, Bouldersoundguy!

Just wanted to update you guys:

There is now an iOS & Mac app for Quiztones. Tons of new features including over 40 frequency trainers (EQ boost & cut) and choosing source audio from your own music library.

More info @ http://quiztones.net.

Back