ear tinnitus

Thanks for the response Dave!

I returned the monitors and the employee at GC said that those monitors make a small hiss where the tweeter is at and that is normal. So i just got my money back and went back to use regular speakers and my ears feel better! With the money back i bought some earplugs so i can use my amp without demaging my ears. I wish i could use them with monitors but its not the same thing.

I also read on a forum( forgot the name because been on google all day) that some people, but not all, might be sensitive to monitors! Sucks im one of them lol

Is there any monitors in the world that will not bother my ears? Im still researching but cant find anything.

I am sure you will find monitors that suit. My Tannoy 5As were not expensive but they ARE dead quiet at 1/2 mtr*. As I say, reviewers tend to ignore this test and when I have queried it I was told that IF there was a problem, it would be mentioned. Not good enough IMHO. The speakers should be put in a very quiet room and harkened unto by young, female persons!

*Ok, pretty well known here that I am mutton! But son isn't! In fact he finds my AKG P150s too bright on acoustic guitar and prefers the SM57! He loved the 5As. One of them has in fact developed a very slight hum from the power transformer (I hear 30-1000Hz very well!) but it can only be noticed 'in the dead' and with no music playing. I did ask how much a new PSU would cost. Ah, will put that toward my Barefoots (well! Chap can dream?)

Ooo! How do you find headphones? Just got some AKG P92s, very smooth (in fact a but dim for me)

Dave.

What monitors were these? I have read some complaints from people saying certain monitors did a have a noticeable hiss that 'wasn't noticeable' when music was playing.

I am sure you will find monitors that suit. My Tannoy 5As were not expensive but they ARE dead quiet at 1/2 mtr*. As I say, reviewers tend to ignore this test and when I have queried it I was told that IF there was a problem, it would be mentioned. Not good enough IMHO. The speakers should be put in a very quiet room and harkened unto by young, female persons!

*Ok, pretty well known here that I am mutton! But son isn't! In fact he finds my AKG P150s too bright on acoustic guitar and prefers the SM57! He loved the 5As. One of them has in fact developed a very slight hum from the power transformer (I hear 30-1000Hz very well!) but it can only be noticed 'in the dead' and with no music playing. I did ask how much a new PSU would cost. Ah, will put that toward my Barefoots (well! Chap can dream?)

Ooo! How do you find headphones? Just got some AKG P92s, very smooth (in fact a but dim for me)

Dave.

Idk but someone should write an article about this issue! with a good explanation and details on why theres some people out there ( like me) that have issues with monitors.

i find headphones ok and no pain! but never tried studio headphones. i hope is not same thing lol

What monitors were these? I have read some complaints from people saying certain monitors did a have a noticeable hiss that 'wasn't noticeable' when music was playing.

HI, they where the JBLS LSR305. i returned them yesterday and when back to use regular speakers and feel much better :)

Does this mean sometimes 'the truth' does hurt !
:)
I hope you can come back and let us know if you learn anything about your ear situation.

Does this mean sometimes 'the truth' does hurt !
:)
I hope you can come back and let us know if you learn anything about your ear situation.

yeap it does! but never quit. many artist musicians etc.. in allot of different issues, had many blocks in their way, but they found the solution to remove those blocks and keep doing what they like! example Tony Iommi with his finger problem but found the way to keep doing what he likes to do ( play guitar).

yeah ill let you guys know. thanks

yeap it does! but never quit. many artist musicians etc.. in allot of different issues, had many blocks in their way, but they found the solution to remove those blocks and keep doing what they like! example Tony Iommi with his finger problem but found the way to keep doing what he likes to do ( play guitar).

yeah ill let you guys know. thanks
You know, I keep (kept) forgetting your issue with the monitors was the hiss.
I was thinking 'truth' being a flat' detailed' sound of a monitor being the problem.

Just for the record, I have an otherwise very nice Haffler hifi preamp (built/kit), sitting dusty -because of 'hiss'. (Was using relatively high efficiency speakers at the time) Couldn't get over it'. It bugged me.
And.. found out about (some circuits I guess) the volume control has no effect on its noise level.

I can provide some information with regard to tinnitus but I have not stayed on top of it 20 years and likely some treatments may have changed. While it can be brought on by medications issues in the body exposure to loud noises has its place. Most patients Hear a buzzing sound or whistle between 2000 and 4000 kilo hertz. Some are pure tones like sine wave and others discordant.

Most of the people who have it will notice at night when it is quiet and they put their head down on the pillow to go to sleep The noise will be the loudest. Back in the mid-80s one theory to combat the problem was to try and wear a device known as a tinnitus masker which would create a sound very slightly louder and slightly to the left and right of that identified frequency help covering up. As you know if you go outside and surrounding ambient noise levels can cover up and that makes it sometimes very difficult to hear the tinnitus, when you come back inside where it is quiet, there it is all over again.

At the time in the late 1980s there Studies wereperformed to determine whether or not the sound was within the scope of the cochlea Itself or possibly in the brainstem. Some subjects went in for surgery and found that the tinnitus was not in the area affected by the surgery and it failed still being ever present and now without a source of hearing to help mask the noise. Even with severe hearing loss it takes only a few dB above the threshold to mask some tinnitus sounds

I have seen some products advertised as a treatment for tinnitus but have no experience with their efficacy I gave up all of this audiologic work to become more involved with several other things proving to be more productive and enlightning . Yes my guitar is part of it but there is much more of course ....the best advice is to protect what you have before it gets worse ....

the 46 years I have lived since coming out of the peace, love and groovey era of Woodstock, I've discovered that many Things really never change . The love and groovey guys turned into stockbroker and bankers. The peace guys turned to corrupt politics and the women are now grandma soccer moms....BUT that's no reason to give up. Hard to believe that I'm not down on any of this as I too am part of it. I just hate to have seen such a promising concept fade in to the depths

Ok....SHHHh. Listen for the tinnitus
Disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer....not a doctor, I played one when I was a little kid. This is only a minuscule snipit of historical developments in time

I seem to have a few tones going on, some I'd guess a little higher. That would be 4 -- 8000Hz, 8kHz... which I'm Shure you meant :D

I consider myself lucky, not too bad at 67. Music/bands all my life... and lots of guns. Some unprotected early on before we got a clue'.
:o

Back