ear protection!

bunnyfunk

This might not be the proper area for this question, sorry. I am having trouble with hearing protection. Even when my band plays quite, it is still loud enough to do hearing damage and give me that annoying ringing in my ears, especially those drums!i have tried using plain old ear plugs, and even some 16 dollar plugs that claimed you could still hear all of the tone and nuances, just quiter, but these didnt work. When i wear any of these, I cant hear my back up vocals or get a good feel for the music. I really cant afford anything over 125$ - Does any one have any advice for me(besides play quiter!)thank you

You won't hear all the sound spectrum when you use ear protection, especially the highs(in my experiences). If you can't hear the singer well, then maybe you can adjust the monitors mix so he is louder.

However, if you experience ringing after a show or practice then you are damaging your hearing little by little. If you plan on playing loud music on a long-term basis then don't worry what it will cost to buy some custom ear protection. In the long run it might be the best $200-300 you will spend. Everybody is different, some people seem to just handle loud volumes better than others. Tinnitus may have an hereditary component as well, according to a lot of the research I've read.

Most of the musicians I know don't have hearing problems or tinnitus. Most of my friends who are pilots do. Stay away from airplanes ?

MAKE YOUR DRUMMER BUY A LEXAN DRUM SHIELD OR FIRE HIM!!!!!

Trust me on this one. Your hearing woes will be over. I promise.

H2H

I agree, your hearing is nothing to screw around with, it isn't worth ruining your hearing just so your guitarist or drummer can 'feel the vibe'. You may need to get some custom fitted In Ear Monitors, they block out external sound as well as give you monitoring, you wont get them for $100, but how much is your hearing worth? The catch is that you will have to put some effort into getting your monitor mix set up every time you use them, cause just like headphones very loud sounds in your In-Ears can also cause hearing damage. Give your Drummer some really light Jazz Sticks as a belated Xmas present and force him to use em at rehearsals :)

Depending on what you do in the band, you could even pick up some heavy duty ear muff type protectors. Normally used for dynomometer testing on cars, they do the job better than anything, but unfortunately, you can't be picky about what gets through.

Back